Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2015

Zenturtle
Default Why this forum?

Is it only for beginners asking a coach for advice, or is it also to openly discuss general swim issues, even if participants question the value of some of the TI teachings?
Old 09-03-2015

truwani

Hi zenturtle, why this synical post: do you feel there are not enough senior members or coaches that intervene in technical discussions?
Old 09-03-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Is it only for beginners asking a coach for advice, or is it also to openly discuss general swim issues, even if participants question the value of some of the TI teachings?
Zenturtle,

If it had not been for this forum, I would not have started to learn how to swim like I should, instead of giving up again. Coach Stuart has given me so much help because I posted in this forum. So in my opinion, there is a purpose for this forum.
Old 09-03-2015

WFEGb

Hello Zentrutle,

Quote:
I am somewhat a loss with your question, you'll know the right answer better. (Look at our post counters...)

First, we must remember it is a TI-Forum, so nobody should be surprised to get TI-like answers, comments or TI's point of view.

I'm forum member for nearly three years and remember only one member banned from Terry. Not for commenting or propagating non TI-things but for being unjust rough against other members. I do like the helpful atmosphere in this forum. Think coaches and other members like you(!) try their very best to help each other. As good as possible in a forum.

If someone found TI has not the recipes he needs, this will be OK, but he should not be surprised if the recipes fitting for him will find a somewhat critical investigate (perhaps some hasty answers) just here.

So don't know what led to your question, I do hope you'll stay here with your insights and thoughts either TI-conform or not.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 09-03-2015

Zenturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmarshall5030 View Post
Zenturtle,

If it had not been for this forum, I would not have started to learn how to swim like I should, instead of giving up again. Coach Stuart has given me so much help because I posted in this forum. So in my opinion, there is a purpose for this forum.
Dont think there can be a better answer than this one in the end.
Congratulations, and I hope you will continue.

Truwani,
yeah, my main interest is solving the swimming puzzle, or better the different swimming puzzlles for different bodytypes and speeds.
As it goes with puzzles, you are more interested in the pieces that are still missing as in the part that is already finished.
The missing pieces are not all in the TI box as far as I can tell, and sometimes I get a bit frustated of looking iin a box and not finding the right pieces.
Old 09-03-2015

Danny

Hi ZT,

First let me note that there are clearly some addicts on this forum, and those who fall into this category know who they are.

There are also some people who get addicted for a while and then move on, maybe because they got all the help they need, and maybe because they started to get the feeling that they were not learning new stuff anymore.

Finally, there are the occasional participants, people who have a life (as the saying goes) and only participate as their time allows.

As Werner says, I value your insights and your comments, both for and against TI. So let me ask you the question: Do you feel that you are not finding suitable partners in this forum to discuss your ideas?
Old 09-04-2015

andyinnorway

Quote:
Dont think there can be a better answer than this one in the end.
Congratulations, and I hope you will continue.

Truwani,
yeah, my main interest is solving the swimming puzzle, or better the different swimming puzzlles for different bodytypes and speeds.
As it goes with puzzles, you are more interested in the pieces that are still missing as in the part that is already finished.
The missing pieces are not all in the TI box as far as I can tell, and sometimes I get a bit frustated of looking iin a box and not finding the right pieces.
I would have added different personalities too to your list of swimming puzzles.

I love the TI forum because it has a lot of people who are passionate about discussing the art of wonderful swimming.(whether that's fast moderate or slow). I post much less than I used to for reasons you have alluded to, a lot of the pieces of my own swimming puzzle are in place so I don't feel the need to discuss them or ask as many questions as I did 4 years ago.

I've settled on a stroke based on a lot of the principles of classic TI but with hybrid versions of the catch and recovery, it works for me and allows me to swim with relaxed rhythm for 4 hours or more which was my goal when starting.

The TI forum has great personal support from it's founder Terry, and to my knowledge is still the only swimming resource that fully deconstructs the freestyle stroke and teaches people with either no experience of swimming, or the experience of only ever being able to swim 25m freestyle before exhaustion, a step by step program that can take their swimming as far as they wish.

I've done more than 40km in the sea in the last 30 days and loving every stroke more than ever.
Old 09-04-2015

jafaremraf

... And what about motivation and inspiration. It doesn't always have to be about the mechanics of swimming, though of course that is important. Sometimes the in depth discussions that feature on here do nothing for me - it's just numbers. Different approaches suit different people. Take from it what applies to you and accept others do the same. For me seeing videos of members swimming and then reading constructive feedback is very helpful, as are the motivational videos of how TI 'experts' swim. I regularly watch Anna Karin Lundin's video before I swim purely for the inspiration.
Old 09-05-2015
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
You can discuss any swimming-related subject you want. Terry has said in the past that he hopes no one will feel that they are not welcome to post something here just because it disagrees with what he says.

Bob
Old 09-06-2015

EmbracingKaizen

I'm a TI beginner of six months. I turned to this forum as a desperation move: I felt isolated, my TI progress had got stuck and I was unable to resolve it by re-reading Terry's books/videos. The responses to my first post were super helpful. I'm excited that there is a community who can (a) help us beginners learn TI without giving up and (b) offer intermediate and advanced TI help with regards to building distances and speed. I come here for the TI, but pitching TI against non-TI concepts has value too as it helps ensure TI's credibility and maybe keeps us from becoming too insular or self-congratulatory. I am loving my TI journey and am relieved to have found this group to learn from and share with. How cool is that?!