Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015

EmbracingKaizen
Default Epiphany, wiggle, 2 beat kick, help!

Five months into TI...

total immersion
passion, change, day after day
honest humbling growth

http://youtu.be/cxQjFxtYLVg (short video of me)

Last week, I was stunned to drop 8 seconds (50m) while attempting to use zero energy.

But now I have a wiggly vessel. What focal points should I use to straighten my vessel out? While I've come a long way with TI (a former sinker and non-swimmer), I'm feeling a bit horrified to see how wiggly and gaspy I look.

I'm attempting a 2 beat kick, but it looks wimpy and scissor-like from the video. I'm not sure how to get effective propulsion from it. Help?

Last week I ceased lifting my head to breathe and (viola!) found that elusive "breathing trough" created by the bow wave (doh!). Now I'm learning to breathe from that space. However, I have no idea why my head plunges underwater following every breath. That can't be good, right?

I'd like to think that my right arm is succeeding at TI (relaxed doll hands, finger tips that can drag) while my left arm is still "reaching" forwards. Is my perception of either accurate? Am I leading with the elbow with either? If not, thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2015

Streak

YOu seem to be making good progress after only 5 months.
There are many experts here who are far more analytical than myself.
I will however make the following comments.
Your right arm is getting stuck with an obvious pause before initiating your recovery.
Your right elbow is getting too far behind your back. Try swinging it more around (rather than lifting) and leading your recovery with the elbow rather than the hand.

see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQoQYvQkuk8

Now that you have mastered breathing in the trough, try and not turn your head so much, keeping one eye and half your mouth below the water surface.

I also notice that your right arm seems to be crossing the center line which could explain your head dip when recovering on that side.

So in summary:-
1. Swing don't lift
2. Don't rotate your head so much to breathe
3. Keep your recovery arm on tracks

I also breathe every second stroke. I have a bunch of video showing my progress if you think that would help.

Keep it up.
Old 08-18-2015

Zenturtle

You are a natural loper man.
Funny to see how a lope develops.
Better to try to become more symmetrical? I dont know.
Probably yes at this stage.Sort of not let the lope get out of hand. (is this also an english expression?)
All the bodymovements sync up rather nicely in your stroke. Its all weak, slow and wide, but its there.
Good job!

there is some Katie Ledecky in you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=41&v=8WY-kXgz5LA
Cooll underwater footage @6min 42

Last edited by Zenturtle : 08-18-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2015

WFEGb

Hello EmbrazingKaizen,

relaxed stroke in many parts, effortless "breathing-thing" resolved in five months that's very good.

What you call wiggle. Mat's alignment blogs might be helpful. Think that's the way to get your loping head a little more stable also. (Interesting to me, you don't lift it, you bury it into the water after your breathe. Stabilization should become much more easier from your point.)

Shinji's hint for 2BK: Start with holding your legs just streamlined and than let the kick assist your bodyroll. Kick and propulsion in TI will come later or never.

BTW do you start your warm up with some SGs going over to some strokes without breathing, just to get the streamlined feel for the water at start?

And warmup may be the right minutes to take some breathing on your left side. Breathing on your uncomfortable side will take longer efforts the longer you'll push it away...

Go on and enjoy with best regards,
Werner
Old 08-18-2015

Zenturtle

Your embryonal lope is very interesting, but its too much.
All your basic whole body timing action/reaction actions are pretty good in the first lenght, but the arm and leg actions are way too big, bending the main vessel too much.
Tighten and streamline the vessel first and get that going with reduced amplitude arm and leg actions.
Aquatic posture. Toned body from the core. Thats priority nr 1.
Still find the whole action pretty amazing.You are aware at a deep level what movements to make at what time.
Seems you have swim talent to me, but take it easy. Build it up from the foundations.
Old 08-18-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbracingKaizen View Post
Five months into TI...

total immersion
passion, change, day after day
honest humbling growth

http://youtu.be/cxQjFxtYLVg

But now I have a wiggly vessel. What focal points should I use to straighten my vessel out? While I've come a long way with TI (a former sinker and non-swimmer), I'm feeling a bit horrified to see how wiggly and gaspy I look.

I'm attempting a 2 beat kick, but it looks wimpy and scissor-like from the video. I'm not sure how to get effective propulsion from it. Help?
Hi EK,

You've come a long way in short period. Established good rhythm, getting air off of your right shoulder, wide tracks - all good.

The twisting you see is after the breath, your head bobs down deep and drifts to the left. Your spine will follow your head, and that's the source of your twist. But let's see why your head wants to bob down and drift left and it all has to do with lack of balance. You have a two kicks per stroke cycle, but timing is 180 degs off - and this is because you are thinking of the kick timing. When your left arm spears forward, your left leg kick down, right arm spear, right leg kick down, inhibits rotation, hips sink, imbalanced - see 00:42 on your video. This is what I call the "zombie swimmer" or "going zombie". The incorrect kick timing is triggering the head drift and spine to twist to get you out of that feeling of imbalance.

First, let the kick go, just quite the legs for now. The timing will naturally happen when the body is stable, head, spine and hips are aligned. Second, work on keeping head still on each stroke. Head, spine, hips aligned, no lateral twist. Third, go on the snorkel and stabilize your vessel (remove the twist after breathing). You can also have a fellow swimmer hold your head still from the front as you take four to six strokes without breathing. This is help imprint the stable head and spine position and the feeling of rotating about the spine with no lateral twist - all central to balance.

Good luck!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 08-18-2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: senior moment typos
Old 08-19-2015

Zenturtle

About the kicktiming.
Good that beginners have their head in the water, because otherwise the wiring would melt in a minute because of the mental overload.
This results in a slow reaction on balance sensory inputs. So the kick action lags the arm action a bit.
When the kick movement stalls there is some feedback that this is the good connection, and there is the diagonal downkick opposite extension position.

Here another swimmer with a late kicktiming in his freestyle, But normal 6BK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la_n_gHVELI

When trying to swim along mentally, most of the kicktiming is more or less imaginable, but the big kick on the left (raised above to water to load)leg is off the most. This kick is counterproductive, but directly followed by a kick on the other side thats on time again, helping rotation. Thats what making the whole process still looking like a natural, but lagging rhythm.
Cant really understand this big kick. Looks like you have thought hard and decided to give a good kick after that process. Could be a mental mess up between the loping and the symetric stroke movement pattern.
The big kick is probably born from a breathing need, and has a tendency to stick because its followed directly by an efficient kick that turns the body to the breathing side.
The 2 following actions are now ingrained as one connected action that gives you air.
A lot of your stroke is influenced by that one-two leg action,which in itself is again linked with your arm action.
The whole process reminds me a lot of Paltrinieris 1.5 stroke per cycle

The need for air and your found solution can get ingrained easily, so
I guess best to follow coach Stuarts advice to reset the stroke again before this gets ingrained.

Curious how this will evolve because I dont think that a symmetrical 2BK stroke fits your swim fingerprint, but we will see how pliable the human mind is.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 08-19-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2015

EmbracingKaizen

I am so grateful and jazzed for receiving such wonderful feedback!

Streak - You are spot on about the "pause" and "elbow lifting". The Coach Mandy video you shared is perfect and is helping me finally understand what "swinging the elbow" means. That movement had been such a mystery. Had one of my top 5 most enjoyable swims ever yesterday because I was able to start swinging my elbows. Working on rotating the head less :)

WFEGb - Mat's blogs look quite helpful. I had abandoned the SG's a while ago when I thought I was getting the TI fundamentals down. I've now re-added them as regular warmups. Profound thanks for noticing that was missing. I had no idea I was "burying" my head, but today I *think* I stopped doing it. Change required naming the action -- thank you!

Zenturtle - "a natural loper man" -- I think that's how I run, too :) Alas, I'm aiming for Shinji grace so I want to add symmetry and lose the lope. "Arm and leg actions are too big:" that's helpful new information to have pointed out. Your detailed description of "The big kick is probably born from a breathing need" hits the bullseye. I've been attempting to learn a 2BK, but I've frankensteined it into being about maintaining balance and that need for air. Your explanation will help me undo it.

CoachStuartMcDougal - "zombie swimmer". yup. the funny thing is that I had read about zombie swimming and thought I had fixed it... doh. Super helpful to know that I'm doing it 180 degrees off kilter and that is a contributor to twisting. Letting the kick go is great advice and is helping me focus on balance. Will try the snorkle too.

Thank you!!!