Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017

Josefish
Default Any 5 k plan for a race in 3 month time?

Hi water fellows,

Any swimming plan for a 5 k OW race available?

I swim 4/5 times per week around 2200 m per session. Do you think that's enough to face the race ?

Awaiting your comments

Thanks in advace

Josefish <><
Old 03-23-2017

Tom Pamperin

I haven't trained for that distance specifically, but I'd recommend getting as much open water time as you can fit in--it's very different from pool swimming.

For whatever it's worth, when I trained for a 10-miler a couple years ago, I swam about 15-20,000 meters/week at my highest volume, 5 days/week. As soon as the water was warm enough, I was doing 3-4 of my weekly sessions in open water, working on sighting, swimming straight, pacing continuously without walls, etc. I worked up to a max training swim of about 6 miles. I'd think for a 5k race I'd want several swims of 5k in open water before my taper.

In my pool sessions, I don't think I did any repeats longer than 400m. 200m and 400m were staples of my practices in the pool. I also worked a lot on shorter repeats to focus on balance and technique. Also worked on sighting in the pool, and some swimming with eyes closed to work on holding a straight line. Overall, I think I would prioritize picking a stroke rate and DPS (distance per stroke) that would let me hit my target time with a perceived level of effort I felt I could sustain for the distance, and spend most of my training trying to make my chosen stroke rate feel easier and more relaxed. That all would probably serve you well for a 5k as well. I would do my longer swims in open water.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 03-24-2017

WFEGb

Hello Josefish,

you should try to talk with Mastercoach Mat. For his Alumnis he has a very detailed (plans for every single pooltime) 5k-Course, but he's extremely kind and helpful, maybe he'll open a "special case" for you.

Best regards,
Werner