Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015

Josefish
Default Shinji changing way of swimmong for OW

So, it looks like TI is not good enough any more for OW races. After spend 3 years with TI , it looks like Shinji is changing style because TI is not good enough for OW. We had been told this is s agreat way for swimming triathlon and OW. And now after spending my time and my money, I have to change the way of swimming again?. ..unbelieveble ¡¡¡

for whom don't undertand what I´am talking about, please read in facebook(shinji profile)
Old 03-09-2015

fooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefish View Post
TI is not good enough for OW. We had been told this is s agreat way for swimming triathlon and OW. And now after spending my time and my money, I have to change the way of swimming again?
Life is not static.
I wear jeans and I wear suit. Both are what I need.
I assume it is about straight arm recovery? Shinji is
not TI more than you are. Classical TI would not die.
You learned balance and streamlining and a lot more.
Just correct technique to manage open water envi-
ronment.
I hardly wait for summer to swim in the lake and see
if TI suits non transparent water and waves.
Old 03-09-2015

wentod

There is no exception: no school suit everybody. So don't blame TI school for your (bad?) results. It also depends on what you are looking for.
Many TI fans would like to swim like Terry or Shinji,even if Shinji is experimenting 6 beats kick as someone tells he is. One principle of TI is Kaizen: continious improvement spirit. So wait and see. No problem for me.
And beware, if you switch from TI principles to another "religion" you can be sure to spend time and perhaps a lot of money. And you cannot be sure NOW that you will be happy in the end.
Old 03-09-2015

s.sciame

Quote:
So, it looks like TI is not good enough any more for OW races. After spend 3 years with TI , it looks like Shinji is changing style because TI is not good enough for OW.
Well, it is worth noting that Shinji is focused on marathon/ocean swimming, which presents additional challenges than ow swimming in general. One of the major challenges is being able to stay several hours in cold water and prevent hypothermia. In this sense, mastering an higher stroke rate and a light flutter/6bk can aid keeping the body warmer (it's not only a matter of coping with high ocean waves).

Besides I don't think flutter/6bk and higher stroke rates are not compliant with TI, I see them as additional skills. As for the straight arm recovery (will he actually ever use it?), I know that it's not advocated by TI. But I also know that many ow swimmers don't use it - it's not a must I would say -, and some other swimmers use a bent arm recovery when swimming at lower rates and switch to a straighter arm when increasing SR, so it also depends on which gear you're swimming at.

Finally, we know that Terry swam the MIMS (45km) with a classic TI stroke and many other ow races successfully.

Regards,
Salvo
Old 03-09-2015

igorner

Quote:
So, it looks like TI is not good enough any more for OW races. After spend 3 years with TI , it looks like Shinji is changing style because TI is not good enough for OW. We had been told this is s agreat way for swimming triathlon and OW. And now after spending my time and my money, I have to change the way of swimming again?. ..unbelieveble ¡¡¡

for whom don't undertand what I´am talking about, please read in facebook(shinji profile)
For my two cents worth I think that you may be over reacting , just a little. There could be many factors that resulted in the Shinji's having to retire from the race early....TI stroke just being one of them. If I have not done as well in a road race (compared to the usual) I don't throw out the idea of putting one foot in front of another for the next race.

There is much evidence using many swimmers, over many different distances, that supports TI. Let's give Shinji a chance to experiment and reflect a little before we jump on any band wagons.
Old 03-09-2015
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:

i think you are misunderstanding something.

Shinji has been swimming OW for years but just not in conditions like at Rottnest. So don't mistake what he says in "changing style". TI is still there, but your swimming strategy and application of technique may need to change given the chaotic conditions in the ocean. so when he says changing style, it doesn't mean changing from TI; it just means he needs to practice elements of the stroke which are more adaptable to the changing conditions in OW.