Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014

Josefish
Default Comming back to TI

Dear TI friends,

After starting TI and practicing it during two and a half year, I hit a "plateau", I didn't avance so I decided to change and bought a couple of books of Sheyla Taormina " swimspeedsecrets". She promised and was pretty sure than my level would go up as a rocket. After reading her books and after 6 months practicing her workouts and trainning hard, I realized it was "bullshit". It was not only that I didn't got better in my times but I got worst swimming times than I used to do when practicing TI....So here Im again. I think that TI way is a smarter way to train.
Regards to all of you
Josefish
Old 11-20-2014

Zenturtle

Thats funny, I have quite a high esteem of her and agree with most of what she teaches.

Where did the bullshit start in your view? ;-)
Old 11-20-2014

Josefish

All started when I followed everything she said in her book and didn't work, at least for me.
Everything she says is logic, but the results didn't come up.
Old 11-20-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefish View Post
Dear TI friends,

After starting TI and practicing it during two and a half year, I hit a "plateau", I didn't avance so I decided to change and bought a couple of books of Sheyla Taormina " swimspeedsecrets". She promised and was pretty sure than my level would go up as a rocket. After reading her books and after 6 months practicing her workouts and trainning hard, I realized it was "bullshit". It was not only that I didn't got better in my times but I got worst swimming times than I used to do when practicing TI....So here Im again. I think that TI way is a smarter way to train.
Regards to all of you
Josefish
Welcome back, Stranger!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-20-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

HI Joefish,

First, welcome back. I couldn't help but giggle a bit at your colorful testimonial of Sheila Taormina.

I had the opportunity to debate both Sheila and Dr Sokolovas (aka 'Dr. G') at the USAT Art & Science Symposium in Sept. The presentation from Sheila was traditional, old school, leans on Doc Counsilman when challenged - needless to say a bit disappointing given her creds. I put together a blog if you want to see those details: The Great Swim Debate

Most importantly, you felt you plateaued with Total Immersion and went on to try other methods and didn't find success. Where are you now (stroke rate, spl, distance, etc), and where do you feel stuck or not progressing in your stroke?

Stuart
Old 11-21-2014

Josefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Welcome back, Stranger!
Thanks Suzzane, here again, alive and kicking ( 2 beat kick, of course ) ;)

Last edited by Josefish : 11-28-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2014

Josefish

Hi Stuart,

I think to have a plateau is normal from time to time ( Any tip to avoid it ?). Now I'm focussing on streamlined trying to keep a costant speed during the full stroke circle instead of accelerate, descelerate and so on, as I was doing before.
I think than that consume much energy than keeping a costant speed. ( sorry if I can't expalin it propperly, Im not an english speaker ;)

Last edited by Josefish : 11-21-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Josefish,

Often plateaus are connected to the pace clock. Developing new awareness, ease of effort, feeling more slippery are excellent to visit when the clock seems to stop. Tempo and SPL are much more important metrics to use.

Yes, working on balance, streamline will yield much greater results than turning arms. Turning arms faster than your current skill level, may move you at a consistent pace, but a slow "sticky" pace with greater effort.

I suggest you join the TI Academy for a month, try it out and see how you like it. It will be well worth your time and money.

Stuart
Old 11-23-2014
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefish View Post
Hi Stuart,

I think to have a plateau is normal from time to time ( Any tip to avoid it ?). Now I'm focussing on streamlined trying to keep a costant speed during the full stroke circle instead of accelerate, descelerate and so on, as I was doing before.
I think than that consume much energy than keeping a costant speed. ( sorry if I can't expalin it propperly, Im not an english speaker ;)
Josefish
In George Leonard's book, Mastery, which I'd recommend as a prime source for all TI swimmers (it's required reading for TI coaches) one of the most common behaviors of Masters in all domains is "Love the Plateau."

As you progress from more basic to more advanced skills, there will inevitably be periods where you don't sense progress for weeks--and eventually months--at a time.After 25 years of TI practice I consider it a fantastic year if I accomplish one significant breakthrough.

During this period, if you have confidence and conviction that your path and practice are correct, you maintain faith that change IS happening--at the cellular level, below your threshold of awareness--even when it seems you have plateaued.

In any case, welcome back to the Path of TI.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-24-2014

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Josefish
In George Leonard's book, Mastery, which I'd recommend as a prime source for all TI swimmers (it's required reading for TI coaches) one of the most common behaviors of Masters in all domains is "Love the Plateau."

As you progress from more basic to more advanced skills, there will inevitably be periods where you don't sense progress for weeks--and eventually months--at a time.After 25 years of TI practice I consider it a fantastic year if I accomplish one significant breakthrough.

During this period, if you have confidence and conviction that your path and practice are correct, you maintain faith that change IS happening--at the cellular level, below your threshold of awareness--even when it seems you have plateaued.

In any case, welcome back to the Path of TI.
Terry, I am a TI swimmer for almost 20 years now and I too have come to love plateaus, but I must take exception to the point of view you are portraying above (as I understand it). As I have heard many coaches here say time and again, breakthroughs occur not just in terms of speed and time. A plateau is a wonderful place to study your weaknesses, to develop a better idea of what to work on, and to try out different things. Most of these things will not improve your speed, but they will improve your understanding of what you are doing.

To say that one must have faith that change is occurring, even though one can't detect it, disturbs me because it reminds me too much of religious arguments on the subject of faith. I would suggest that if you don't see anything happening in your plateau, you need to (a) try out some different approaches and (b) ask your self if you are paying attention to the right things. In particular, there's a world of stuff to pay attention to that has nothing to do with speed and time.

There's an old saying to the effect that insanity occurs when trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.