Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009

gogo
Default Head Submerged causing breathing issues?

I thought I was having O2 issues b/c at the 65-70yd mark I'd feel like I was totally gassed. My breathing technique was to blow out all the air as soon as rotated away from the air and toward the water and I said that would work comfortably for two laps. But midway through the third lap I'd feel like I need air as soon as I rotated away from the air and into the water. So I'd wind up holding my breath until I reached the wall. So I thought perhaps this may be caused by other issues such as head position as I noticed i seemed to be looking ahead if you know what I mean.

So I decided to start again from square 1 or lesson 1, superman glide, superman flutter, etc. That's when I noticed that during core balance and skating that my head was completely submerged in the water. It felt like to me my head was submerged by 3 inches. Also, I noticed that I was less comfortable skating on my left side (or non-breathing side) and when I did try and breath on this side I'd have to rotate all the way to sweet spot. Oh I should also mention that during skating I tried working on swim and nod and when I would rotate my head 90degrees to the right both of my goggles were under water.

so I think I have two issues. A balance issue on my non-breathing side, and a breathing issue where I'm gassed in whole stroke. I'm not sure my balance issue is causing my breathing issue but I wouldn't rule it out. I should also mention that when I'm swimming I avg. 14-16 spl. Any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks,
Michael
Old 06-28-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
My breathing technique was to blow out all the air as soon as rotated away from the air and toward the water...
Huh? You blow out your air and swim that way? I hope not! heh
Old 06-29-2009

daveblt

You want to blow out the air as you rotate towards the air as your face comes out of the water not away from it towards the water .Make sure you are not pushing your head down. Look down but let the head and neck relax in to the water .

Dave