Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011

che9194
Default Uploaded video - looking for advice

Here is a brief video of my freestyle stroke at a PRE of about 5. I'm looking for critique on technique and (more importantly) specific drills to improve or correct technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpaoCuykKsY

Background: This August I returned to swimming after a 15+ year hiatus. I worked through Krol's 6-week Beginner freestyle program and am almost finished with his 6-week Intermediate program. I also had 2 sessions of targeted workouts with a local coach who recorded this video.
Old 10-26-2011

andyinnorway

I think overall you look really good. There are no whole length's so I couldn't count your SPL.

If that is higher than 15/16 then work on reducing it down by reaching a little further forward or with more purpose at increasing stroke rates and increasing set lengths.

suggested set Hold spl of 16 or lower throughut

4 x 50 SR 1.2
4 x 100 SR 1.3
4 x 50 SR 1.1
4 x 100 SR 1.3

5 or 6 stroke rest between each. Use the Faster tempos to develop focus skills to hold SPL, use the slower longer sets to develop holding SPL with ease.

change the distances and SR according to progress and your own personal situation, but try to avoid spl over 16. If you SPL starts to increase on longer sets then reduce SR incrementally until you get success.
Old 10-26-2011

swimust

just my humble opinion and I am not a coach:
1) too much kicking making you lose energy and creates drag. 2bk is enough as far as i know.
2) you are "forcing the issue" at soulder area when you start the recovery.
These are 2 habits coming from the usual freestyle swim, not from the TI swim.

Last edited by swimust : 10-26-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2011

daveblt

Just to add, it looks as if your head position could be a just bit lower in some parts of the video . This may also help with balance . Looking good though.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 10-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2011

tomoy

x2. Hips and feet look a bit low in the water. Try spearing more deeply, and relaxing your head into a horizontal place, looking straight down instead of forward. Then work on keeping your arms forward more of the time: patient gliding front hand until the recovering hand enters the water. Keep up the good work, it's clear you're committed. You will improve and it will get easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Just to add, it looks as if your head position could be a just bit lower in some parts of the video . This may also help with balance . Looking good though. Dave