Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012

jtravis
Default Do you actively lift legs and point toes?

When doing Superman Glide, or I guess anything else, should I consciously be activating my back muscles to try to keep my legs raised up? Should I be actively trying to keep my legs together? What about my toes, should I point them?

I am a complete beginner and am wondering if I am interpreting "stay relaxed in the water" incorrectly. I've been just letting my legs go wherever they naturally go, which means they aren't together, aren't exactly straight, and toes aren't pointed. In my videos where I'm actually swimming, my legs are all over the place, usually bent and quite a ways apart.

Yesterday I did SG quite a bit, and tried pointing my toes, which I think also inadvertently caused me to straighten my legs and keep them together. I could be wrong, but it seemed like I instantly went faster/further. It makes sense that straight, together legs with pointed toes would be more streamlined, but at what cost to relaxation in the water? Any helpful thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Last edited by jtravis : 01-20-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: to add name
Old 01-20-2012

arunks

SG is a drill i do daily to improve on my balance.This is a great drill to focus on the proper head position and to get the downhill sensation so that the hips and legs raise.To streamline i point my toes while doing this.You can see Shinji doing this drill.Click here.(Turn on the captions)

Arun

Last edited by arunks : 01-20-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-20-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravis View Post
When doing Superman Glide, or I guess anything else, should I consciously be activating my back muscles to try to keep my legs raised up? Should I be actively trying to keep my legs together? What about my toes, should I point them?

I am a complete beginner and am wondering if I am interpreting "stay relaxed in the water" incorrectly. I've been just letting my legs go wherever they naturally go, which means they aren't together, aren't exactly straight, and toes aren't pointed. In my videos where I'm actually swimming, my legs are all over the place, usually bent and quite a ways apart.

Yesterday I did SG quite a bit, and tried pointing my toes, which I think also inadvertently caused me to straighten my legs and keep them together. I could be wrong, but it seemed like I instantly went faster/further. It makes sense that straight, together legs with pointed toes would be more streamlined, but at what cost to relaxation in the water? Any helpful thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer
I would say point the toes and keep legs together but do not lock the knees, keep them a little relaxed, that seems to be what Shinji is doing. Hands look like good piano hands. relaxed yet controlled.

I have nearly got SG to the end of my breath, sometimes it happens sometimes I get my balance wrong so will do some more today.
Old 01-20-2012
Coach

CoachBrian

Aim for relaxation, balance, and alignment. You'll have to keep your legs in line with your body to do that. It requires a certain amount of tone, but not tension. Activate the fewest muscles with the least amount of muscle energy to accomplish that.

During a set of glides, focus on a muscle or set of muscles. See if you can release tension and still maintain alignment.
Old 01-20-2012

ALMD

when you push into SG , relax your neck muscles , arms, keep legs rather straight but relaxed and streamlined....the same way when you crash onto a bed after a long day ...completely relaxed..just stay streamlined...

I don't know why I didnt have problems with SG, and learnt it myself without a coach?? !! :) ...I glide about 6- 8 meters at a time...stay relaxed ...trust the water will carry your weight , and you won't sink...and you will do it... and as Terry said in the DVD ...sink into the weightlessness .... it will happen
Old 01-24-2012

isaac.ohel
Default Open Water SG

This weekend, I found a shortcut to an infinite SG. I tried it in the warm waters of Acapulco Bay, and my legs never sank.
After that drill, I swam 1200 meters (Thanks, Google Maps) to a small Island, feeling relaxed and easy. I finally experienced Terry's words.

I thought the balanced feeling will translate to the pool, but I was wrong. My legs sink. However, the relaxed feeling did transfer (at least partially) to the whole stroke.

I like the sea. however, the experience gave me a boost to keep drilling in the pool.