Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012

rickardlundberg
Default OK spl & sr, but totally spent after 50 m!

I started swimming a year ago. I've been doing TI for the last 11 months or so and got a tempo trainer 2 weeks ago. Here are some data from a 25 m pool:

SR 1.9 -> SPL 10
SR 1.5 -> SPL 15
SR 1.3 -> SPL 15
SR 1.2 -> SPL 16
SR 1.0 -> SPL 17

That's after a push off lasting a couple of seconds, don't really know how long. So I'm happy with my progress there. The problem is regardless of SR I can only hold it for two laps (50 m), then my heart rate is way up, I'm gasping for air and I have to rest for a minute at least before I can go again. I really wanna be able to swim longer distances but I don't know how to get there!

cheers
Old 01-18-2012

andyinnorway

Firstly, most of us feel like that until we get it, its not fitness, its not your body type. One day you realize you can swim 4 lengths, and then its 8 and then its 64.

Some things to test.

Can you swim slowly and endlessly with a snorkel, finis or otherwise. If so a lot of your issues will be breathing control, which is hard.

Secondly, extreme breathlessness for someone not anxious of the water probably means you are stiffning all your muscles, legs, arms and chest in an effort to try hard and to reduce SPL.

Do this, tighten your quads and calves and then try walking with straight legs, how exhausting is that, its the same with swimming.

Thirdly, How hard does your ¨pull¨ feel. For me, the pull phase feels no harder than swinging a tennis bat at a ball and gets lighter every month. I remember 6 months ago it was more like do a lat pull of 40kgs as I put all my efforts into reducing my SPL.

The thing to do here is to try to add SPL as an exercise. From your numbers above try to swim 18SPL at 1.3 without swimming sloppy, only relaxing your arms and putting in less grunt. You will probably hit 16 instead of 15 but hopefully have 10 times more grunt or breath at the end.

As soon as you get a hint of how easier swimming feels then it will come on very quickly. Your SPL numbers are good so your understanding of the technique is solid and you must be strong.

post some updates if anything works for you.
Old 01-18-2012

Alex-SG

Hi Rickard,

Your SPL numbers look really good. Just one question: do you kick a lot?
I do not see how someone can swim at a SR=1.9 without kicking a lot to keep balance.

When it comes to breathing, check if you are naturally inhaling and exhaling. If you are not relaxed it is possible that you hold your breath.

Something else worth checking: when your mouth clears the water to inhale, do you INHALE or do still exhale prior to inhaling?

Let us know. ALEX
Old 01-19-2012

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
Your SPL numbers look really good. Just one question: do you kick a lot?
I do not see how someone can swim at a SR=1.9 without kicking a lot to keep balance.
Alex,

I think this is a question of balance. Once in a while I do a pyramid with the TT from 1.5 up to 2.0 and then down to 1.0 or faster. I can easily 'swim' at 2.0 with a 2bk and don't need to kick. It is really slow, and it reveals all balance issues and is in fact drilling and not swimming.
Old 01-19-2012

Butiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
Alex,

I think this is a question of balance. Once in a while I do a pyramid with the TT from 1.5 up to 2.0 and then down to 1.0 or faster. I can easily 'swim' at 2.0 with a 2bk and don't need to kick. It is really slow, and it reveals all balance issues and is in fact drilling and not swimming.
I do the same. It starts to get a little shaky for me at 1.9, and then really shaky, really testing my balance, but still surviving at 2.0. All with a 2BK. It's all about balance and relaxation (especially around the head and neck areas) in the skate position.
Old 01-19-2012

rbs24h

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardlundberg View Post
I started swimming a year ago. I've been doing TI for the last 11 months or so and got a tempo trainer 2 weeks ago. Here are some data from a 25 m pool:

SR 1.9 -> SPL 10
SR 1.5 -> SPL 15
SR 1.3 -> SPL 15
SR 1.2 -> SPL 16
SR 1.0 -> SPL 17

That's after a push off lasting a couple of seconds, don't really know how long. So I'm happy with my progress there. The problem is regardless of SR I can only hold it for two laps (50 m), then my heart rate is way up, I'm gasping for air and I have to rest for a minute at least before I can go again. I really wanna be able to swim longer distances but I don't know how to get there!

cheers
Hi Rick,

There is certainly an issue to be addressed if after 11 months, you aren't able to swim further than 50m. If you can, get the 10 lesson DVD, if you don't already have it, and truly practice the lessons in order. Balance, streamline, relaxation and/or breathing improvements (all on DVD) will help you to swim further. I have to believe that you will find your solution in the raw basic fundamentals of the early lessons. You mentioned "doing TI", what has that entailed? I am realizing now that I have been doing to few drills per session in ratio to whole stroke swimming. I have just been practicing bad habits and will continue to unless I improve my technique through fundamental drills. TI works, I hope you find your solution.
Old 01-19-2012

efdoucette

Hello Richard,
I am in a similar situation. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread to try this:
25 free plus 25 breast and repeat, then
25 free plus 50 breast, then
50 free plus 25 breast, then
50 free plus 50 breast, etc

If you can swim say 100 or 200 in this manner then you know it's not stamina. I determined with me it's all about breathing so I'm focusing on the breathing aspect (head down, one goggle, relaxing tense neck & shoulder muscles, etc). Also trying to breath normal, no full inhale or exhale. Nodding drill is helping.

We should keep at this, it's good for the soul!
Old 01-19-2012

tab

Me too. I am now swimming 50 yards and stopping. I am finding breathing ever two strokes to the same side of the pool down and back helps in the duration. My 50's are bilateral breathing. I can put more umph into it on the two stroke breathing method.
Old 01-20-2012

Butiki

I went through the same situation. In my case, I skipped whole stroke swimming altogether while going through the TI drill progression for about 4 months. (This was years ago before this forum even existed.) That was 4 long months of the acquired habit of holding my breath while drilling - even with multiple Overswitches. This habit translated into my whole stroke swimming and though I solved the other issue of continuous breathing, I was almost always breathless and gasping for air at the end of 25m or 50m. Like you, I was frustrated.

Before learning TI, I was already capable of swimming a mile. So it was doubly frustrating to have to stop every so often. Then one day, I remembered that pre-TI, I was exhaling a bit with each stroke and exhaling most of my air just before rotating to breathe in. I wasn't doing that with TI swimming. Once I did that, my breathlessness stopped, and I was able to continue and swim longer.

So what worked for me MAY work for you. If you're not already doing it, try exhaling continuously in between breaths, or in my case, I was exhaling a little air with each arm stroke.
Old 01-20-2012

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butiki View Post
I do the same. It starts to get a little shaky for me at 1.9, and then really shaky, really testing my balance, but still surviving at 2.0. All with a 2BK. It's all about balance and relaxation (especially around the head and neck areas) in the skate position.
HASCHU33: BUTIKI: I agree wth you that it is OK to swim with a TT as slow rates like 1.9 and 2.0. Great for drilling and test your balance.

What I meant to say is that I am really surprised that someone who is only 11 months into TI can have a SPL=10 (SR=1.90). That is incredibly good in my humble opinion (unless the person has a powerful push off and a continuous propelling kick).

Having said that, you gave this idea to test my balance at low speed... I'll try this pyramid thing. ALEX