Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012

boken
Default New Video for Analysis

Hi TIers, I have a new video for analysis.

It was taken a few weeks ago. The pool was incredibly murky again but we had it to ourselves so it was ok for a few clips.

I see a low spearing arm when breathing to the left that also rushes into the catch. I also continue to see a crane to breathe, although much improved. Also improved is the hip dropping when I breathe.

I am concerned about the apparently high-drag entry and extension that happens as i rotate to the other side and I don't know what to do about it. I still feel water pressure on my upper arms at this stage even after what I think to be reasonable experimentation over the last year. I am also still fairly low in the water which I think contributes to the breathing thing but no clue how to fix. There's a slowmo clip at the end of a breathing stroke to the left that demonstrates some of these issues.

But anyhow, that's what I think but it's taken me only so far. What do you see here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdU2P_oTb08

thanks
Old 01-10-2012

arunks

You have a nice relaxed stroke.A few things I observed which I thought you can improve on. Your recovery can be improved with the palms facing back and more elbow led.I too had the same problem when Coach Suzanne suggested me to try this drill.(The video is a bit old and there is overrotation which needs to be avoided)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_cpv...eature=related

Once the recovery is proper then the entry should get corrected to spear form a steeper angle and more in front of your shoulders. As you go for the breath the right hand is slipping(At 1:24) thus not enabling a good catch.You can avoid this by good breathing technique and extending the lead arm forward while going for breath.

I too am working on good breathing techniques.Good body position is the key.The head moves with the body when you go for breath.This video is a good one to understand the basics for breathing.

Arun

Last edited by arunks : 01-10-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Video Link
Old 01-10-2012

mjm
Default Cross Over

Boken:

Pretty amazing how smooth and non-splashy you swim. Also amazing how horizontal you are in the water: head, hips, feet. Very well done.

No one has a perfect stroke. Your arms cross over the middle. Your arm also drifts over the middle when you breathe making it harder to get a breath and balance. When your arms cross over you pull sideways instead of straight back. Your body tends to fishtail a little.

What to do? Concentrate on keeping the index finger of each hand pointed towards the opposite wall as you spear forward. Now your fingers point sometimes left and and sometimes right. I had the same problem and used finis freestyler paddles as well as pointing the index finger. YMMV.

One other issue: dropped elbow during the catch. It feels powerful but it's not. Keep the elbow high and the palm of the hand facing towards the back wall as soon and as long as possible. There is plenty on this forum about that. However, I wouldn't work on the catch until the cross over is resolved. Boken is not broken. mjm

Last edited by mjm : 01-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2012

jenson1a

This has nothing to do with your stroke, which to me looks fine (except for the crossover that has already been mentioned). That water is so murky are you sure it is safe to swim in? Was hard to see a lot of your stroke except for the above water shots.
Old 01-10-2012

CoachFlppr

Your balance and streamlining are a thing of beauty. With your great fore-aft balance, you can afford to spear less deeply. It will help your head position when you turn to breathe.
Old 01-10-2012

haschu33

Yes, great balance and rhythmic stroke. Nice breathing stroke, no lifting of the head. Good work!

The head is ok now, I remember it was too low in one of your last videos. Still you might spear a little higher, but I don't know if you really have to. The left hand scoops up a bit though.

When your hands enter the water again they are in front of your head and not in front of the respective shoulder. That creates a little fishtailing indeed. Although it looks to me as if your hands move out to shoulder width after entering the water. Except for the right arm that one stays a liitle too close to the center line and drops a bit while breathing.

Real good work, looks good.

How are the fish? Recovered from the trauma of having shared the aquarium with a spatula ;-)
Old 01-10-2012

ScottMT

Wow, I envy your balance and relaxed kick and stroke! I'm a beginner but am working on some of the same issues that you describe so perhaps this will help.

Two things my coach has me working on that might help you are 1) practice not dropping my head when I "press on my buoy". I've been doing this in Superman and it is really helping my streamline, and makes it easier to breathe since my head is not so far under water. And 2) when I turn to breath be sure that I do not look backward. It is impossible to keep your laser pointed ahead if you look back.
Old 01-11-2012

boken

Hi all. Thanks for the comments, videos, and suggestions! I'll what I can do with those issues you all pointed out. I'll be at the pool tomorrow. Some are things that I thought I had fixed so I'll revisit those first.

jensen, the lovely greenish tint was because of the camera, but yes, it was hard to see. Was it safe? I dunno, but I did. Luckily it's not usually that bad, just on the days that would otherwise be awesome for video. I've swum in worse for sure. I prefer open-water so being able to see one foot is good enough visibility. Our surface water here in Iowa is as fertile as our soil.

hashu, thanks for asking. But I'm sad to report that the fish who graciously hosted the spatula passed in November. He had a good run; I had him for about 6 years.
Old 01-11-2012

jtravis

I'm a total beginner and have no criticism that would be worth anything. I just wanted to say, wow, you are so smooth! You have inspired me to want to practice more and keep after the drills. I hope someday to be half as smooth and relaxed as you are. How long have you been swimming?

Jennifer
Old 01-12-2012

boken

Hi Jennifer. Thank you. I started 2 years ago, next month. I could hardly freestyle before that so I started from scratch. Keep up a mindful practice and it'll come.