Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012

johnny.widen

Andy, that is what I really try to do and also feel that I am doing. However, the video tells me I am not. As said, moving my head keeps it synced to the bottom line.
Old 04-27-2012

haschu33

That's really strange, isn't it...

I think in the end it doesn't really matter whether it's the back or the head as long as you find a solution.

What about swimming extremely close to the wall and trying not to run into it?
Old 04-27-2012

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
What about swimming extremely close to the wall and trying not to run into it?
I have tried that and I could keep from it. It felt a bit odd. I also tried to swim near the lane separator, and it didn't really help either. Maybe I should give it another try?

Do you you have experience from it or is it just an idea you have?
Old 04-30-2012

Earl
Default Speaking of videos (camcorders) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.widen View Post
Thanks Westy!

It is three different cameras with three different operators. I have then edit them together in Final Cut Pro X. One tricky part was to get the right sync, since the cameras started at different time. I had to find the same stroke in the three videos. It would have been nice to have a visual or audible sync point and that the cameras had started before that point. An easy and obvious such sync point would have been when I pushed off from the wall.

I also had to compensate for the deck front angle, since my body wasn't at the same spot in the frame in the beginning as in the end of the shoot.

Knowing the tool makes it easy, but a little time consuming to do it.

I am sure that this can be done in Premiere Pro as well, but I am not sure if it is possible in no-pro software like iMovie.
I've been looking for a reasonably priced waterproof camcorder for a couple of weeks (since Ladyfish and CoachStuartMcDougal suggested it as a training tool in some posts to these forums). I've not been totally sold on any that I have seen. Since you seem to have some expertise in the underwater video area ... could you make any suggestions?

One other question relating to videos: I've noticed that some days the water in the pool is much clearer than on other days. Does anyone know why that is? (I'm assuming here that the clearer the water, the better the video.)

Earl
Old 04-30-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I've been looking for a reasonably priced waterproof camcorder for a couple of weeks (since Ladyfish and CoachStuartMcDougal suggested it as a training tool in some posts to these forums). I've not been totally sold on any that I have seen. Since you seem to have some expertise in the underwater video area ... could you make any suggestions?

One other question relating to videos: I've noticed that some days the water in the pool is much clearer than on other days. Does anyone know why that is? (I'm assuming here that the clearer the water, the better the video.)

Earl
Earl,

I bought one of these

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop.asp...ory=camcorder#

when it was on offer in the airport as I got a free waterproof case with it. The reason I like it is that I can get hd underwater footage without needed a friend to be with me as it has a vacuum clamp supplied with it (best to check depending on model) which I just clamp onto the pool tiles under the water. its not big money either.
Old 04-30-2012

johnny.widen
Default Underwater camera

Hi Earl!

I currently use a Kodak Sport Play. It gives good pictures and with a Gorilla Pod it is very easy to mount on various things in the pool. Since you cannot see the display when you have the camera mounted, you have to experiment to get the right angle. However it has a very small display, so it is hard to see what you have filmed. This also have the downside for anyone who wants to shoot with it. To be sure to get it right you have to get under water to see exactly what you are filming, because reflexions force you to look right into it.

I heard that some Polish TI coaches have bought Panasonic WA2, which seems to work fine. It has a large flexible display, so you will not have the problems mentioned above.

Andy, that vacuum clamp you mention should be terrific to have, independent of camera model. The Gorilla Pod is very good, but it requires something to hug. ;-)
Old 04-30-2012

johnny.widen

Saturday morning I practice some more to put my head in the opposite direction to get it fixed. However, it is more difficult then I thought. I haven't yet imprinted the right direction, so I need some more swimming to get it right. I hope to show you something very soon. I have good hope to get it right. Next challenge will be to get rid of the vertical zig-zaging. But, one thing at a time.

Sadly to say, I got some shoulder pain on Saturday. Have I maybe been too eager with my dry land exercises? It is already better and due to holidays, I will have to wait until Thursday for my next swim session. Hope to be problem free until then.
Old 05-01-2012

earlblower
Default Thanks for the camcorder tips

Thanks for the camcorder and video tips. I'll follow up on them

Earl
Old 05-01-2012

johnny.widen
Default Camera resolution

A comment on camera resolution. Nowadays most cameras have a possibility to shoot HD. It could be in 720p (=1280x720 progressive) or 1080p (=1920x1080 progressive). This means that when you look at it on a computer screen or a TV set you will get a very nice picture where you can see many details. Usually they take 30 frames per second, so when you step frame by frame you can se waht happens every 30th of a second. The Kodak Sport Play can even shoot 60 frames per second in 720p. You usually see it written as 720p30, 1080p30, or 720p60.

Older cameras often had VGA (640x480), which my Olympus Á Tough 6000 has. Yes, you can see details on that as well, but I strongly recommend HD. Most of the time I use 720p30.
Old 07-04-2012

Talvi

Hi all, as a TI beginner reading this thread I am confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm View Post
Just for comparison look at Ian Thrope from the front:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P31XJ16C4Ag
Really interesting to see how he uses his forearm like a paddle, but it also is very different to what the Shinji video shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

and then Andy wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-u0a...feature=relmfu
it really helped me understand the difference between roll and reach
but the clip again seems to show a different style to Shenji's TI. The use of gravity behind the rotation isn't very clear to me in it.

Are all these clips of TI ?