Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2017

Rajan
Default Over Rotation

Recently I attended a TI one day workshop. I was pointed out that I over rotate because of which my neck remains tensed. Can anybody pls tell me how to stop over rotation.

Regards
Rajan
Old 03-28-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Rajan,

Three priorities/focal-points that will help: 1.swing recovery arm away from body at exit past hip, don't lift elbow from the shoulder over the hip, 2. enter wide on shoulder width tracks and finish forward extension wide (on same track), 3. spearing arm should gently slope downward, hand just below armpit.

Stuart
Old 03-28-2017

Rajan

Thanks Coach Stuart.

All these points would definitely be helpful but also could you please tell how to avoid over rotation during first stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Rajan,

Three priorities/focal-points that will help: 1.swing recovery arm away from body at exit past hip, don't lift elbow from the shoulder over the hip, 2. enter wide on shoulder width tracks and finish forward extension wide (on same track), 3. spearing arm should gently slope downward, hand just below armpit.

Stuart
Old 03-28-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Thanks Coach Stuart.

All these points would definitely be helpful but also could you please tell how to avoid over rotation during first stroke.
Same - extend lead arm wide, release recovery away from body. Don't breath on first stroke, wait until two strokes in before rolling to air.
Old 03-28-2017
ti97

Quote:
Hi Rajan,

Stuart
Hi Stuart,
Can you restate this part, it's not clear to me: 'don't lift elbow from the shoulder over the hip'

Thanks
Old 03-28-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi ti97,

Lifting elbow from shoulder, I also refer to it as the "runner's elbow" - a terrestrial movement pattern since taking our first steps as infants. Lifting the elbow over the hip triggers over-rotation and imbalance.

This video highlights the elbow lift and over-rotation (and many other issues as a consequence of the elbow lifting from shoulder error) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScQuzZui-QM

Stuart
Old 03-29-2017

novaswimmer

That's a great video analysis. We can learn so much from these! It's so much easier to learn from a visual than just words.
Old 03-29-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Novaswimmer,

Good to hear and thanks. A video is worth a thousand words, probably more. Here's part 2 demoing balanced/stable position, good rotation, head-spine aligned, lead arm extending and sloping gently downward, recovery arm outside body line re-balancing the vessel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvGRYlrpLSY

Stuart
Old 03-30-2017

novaswimmer

Quote:
Hi Novaswimmer,

Good to hear and thanks. A video is worth a thousand words, probably more. Here's part 2 demoing balanced/stable position, good rotation, head-spine aligned, lead arm extending and sloping gently downward, recovery arm outside body line re-balancing the vessel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvGRYlrpLSY

Stuart
She looks so streamlined and just soars thru the water. She also has a great in-born body type. I wonder how much she had to learn or compensate to attain such a good position, if at all.

Last edited by novaswimmer : 03-30-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2017
ti97

Thanks Stuart,

To prevent this defect, is the focal point 'painting wide tracks' with the recovery arm/hand?

Is the concentration more on the wrist/hand along a parallel track to body axis, or on the movement of the upper arm?