Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009

mailtonataraj
Default Breathing - Freestyle

All,
Just started learning freestyle after learning short axis strokes following the TI DvD's. One problem i have during breathing in freestyle is i try to nod the head to breathe and always found by head is few inches deep in water so invariably have to rotate the torso to get my mouth out of the water. I am sure am pretty relaxed because i feel no tension anywhere and my suspicion is that i have a weak kick. Is weak kick a cause for body not in good position to breathe or can there be any other reason. Also am able to breathe only to the right side, left side breathing is awful - tried a few times and found to be extremely difficult. Is that because of weak kick on the right side?
Old 08-16-2009

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtonataraj View Post
All,
Just started learning freestyle after learning short axis strokes following the TI DvD's. One problem i have during breathing in freestyle is i try to nod the head to breathe and always found by head is few inches deep in water so invariably have to rotate the torso to get my mouth out of the water.

Is weak kick a cause for body not in good position to breathe or can there be any other reason.

Also am able to breathe only to the right side, left side breathing is awful - tried a few times and found to be extremely difficult. Is that because of weak kick on the right side?
HEAD UNDER WATER, TOUGH TO BREATH...
You may want to check 3 points:

a. Not rotating at all?
If you swim flat, with no rotation at all, it is of course tough to breathe

b. Are you over-rotating (90deg)?
If shoulders are stacked, elbow or arm up into the air...then that pushes your center of gravity to the front, making your head sink and encourage a deep-angle spearing action from the recovery arm (Ex. 4-5pm).
--> Try to swim more flat (Ex. 45deg rotation)
--> Ensure your arms spear straight in front (ie railtracks) as opposed to crossing over

c. Turn your head quickly (chin to follow the rising shoulder). Once your recovery arm is up into the air it is too late to breath (you head will start sinking again). So turn your head immediately as your speering hand enters the water.

IS WEAK-KICK A CAUSE FOR BREATHING PROBLEMS?
Good TI Swimmers swim perfectly well and breathe well even with no kicking at all.

DIFFICULT TO BREATH ON THE LEFT-SIDE...
It is normal to have 1 side more comfortable that the other. However we whould really try as much as possible to practice bilateral breathing (every 3).
Why? Because otherwise you develop an asymetrical stroke where you rotate to the air on the right, but swim flat on the left.
So if you have only been breathing to the right for quite some time... it is possible you are swimming flat on the left and breathing from a flat position is impossible.

Last edited by Alex-SG : 08-16-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2009

mailtonataraj

Alex, thanks for your insights. Now one doubt i had is cleared (that weak kick might not be the cause for imbalance). I will try to video the way i do and share it for experts like you to see and correct the flaws.
Old 08-17-2009

Alex-SG

Sure,
do upload a video if you can.

Back to the kick.
A strong kick is not needed to breath correctly.
No kicking at all is OK

BUT ONE MORE THING TO CHECK...

Just ensure your kick is not counter-productive.
If you kick very poorly (Example, very widely separeted legs, knees folding at 90deg... that would throw your whole body out of balance, create Drag and make it difficult to breath.
Old 08-27-2009

daren
Default Difficult To Breath On The Left-side...

I would like to ask a follow up question about breathing to the left side. I'm a casual swimmer, On average I don't swim more than twice a week. I mostly swim freestyle and breath to one side of the pool. So each length I'm switching the side I'm breathing to (so over my lifetime I've swam probably close to equal distant breathing to each side). I'm right handed and my right arm is slightly (1/2 an inch maybe) longer and bigger than my left. Recently I've noticed that I swim significantly faster when breathing to my right side. I don't think I have any egregious flaws like not rotating enough when breathing to the left. Should I maybe practice breathing to the left only for a few months? Any comments suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-27-2009

elskbrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
b. Are you over-rotating (90deg)?
If shoulders are stacked, elbow or arm up into the air...then that pushes your center of gravity to the front, making your head sink and encourage a deep-angle spearing action from the recovery arm (Ex. 4-5pm).
--> Try to swim more flat (Ex. 45deg rotation)
--> Ensure your arms spear straight in front (ie railtracks) as opposed to crossing over
I would like to add one thing, regarding spearing hand action relative to timing of breathing in whole stroke.
It seems that in many, not all, TI instructional videos the breath, or "bite of air," is taken when the spearing arm is still at 1-2 o'clock with wrist and fingers hanging downward, in the wake created by your not entirely submerged head, and with the other arm still pulling back to the hip.
As Alex-SG said, above, once the pulling arm is out of the water, it's too late to breath. However, just as the recovering arm passes your ear (or even as soon as the recovering arm is out of the water?), the spearing arm starts its descent from 1-2 o'clock to your target x/y axis point, typically 4-5 o'clock, deeper for leaner or more muscular physiques. Reaching like that at 1-2 o'clock for a split second might help generate a good glide.
I hope I have it right. I'm just working on this phase of freestyle, myself, or rather, I'll start working on it again next week. I've been out of the pool for most of the past four weeks--this keeps up much longer, I'm going to need therapy.
Cindy
Old 08-28-2009

Leif
Default Timing

OK, I am confused. When I look at the video from Shinjii I can clearly see that he is breathing in during the recovery and don't get his face into the water before his recovery arm passes his face. I also noticed that he is almost staking his shoulders and has his elbow high above his shoulder on every stroke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4
So what is the right way to breath??
Leif
Old 08-28-2009

daveblt

The best way in my opinion is first you want to breathe early in the stroke .As soon as the recovery hand is about to enter the water is when you want to connect your hip drive to your armstroke and roll to the other side to get your breath . Keep inhaling until the moment your recovery hand is about to enter the water which is when your face should reenter the water.

Dave
Old 08-28-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Lief,
I am going to have to disagree with your analysis of Shinji. When I look at him, his head is connected to his anchoring arm so his head begins to roll to air as soon as he sets his anchor. I also like the way Dave said it, roll away from your spear. This way your mouth clears the water mid-pull when you are moving your fastest and have the largest bow wave.

Also, remember that Shinji has one of the best balance positions one the planet and he can keep his mouth clear of the water longer into the recovery, at a slower speed, than most of us. I do a drill where I breath in fish. It is very difficult to have good enough balance to clear your mouth without the added speed that stroking gives you.
Old 08-28-2009

Leif

HELP!
I just got out of the pool trying to work on my breathing. When I breathe it throws my whole rhythm off. It seems that I don’t clear the water early enough to get air in. In order to breath I pause at the point when my pulling hand reaches my hip. Because of that I lose speed, my legs start sinking and I over rotate. What drill can I do to practice the right timing for breathing.
Leif