Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2016

weakandpuny

More Garmin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (10.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-29-2016

weakandpuny

...aaand just about the time I think I'm totally all "High Elbow / Marionette Arm" when I see this latest video of me tonight and realize..mmm not so much. I can also clearly see the left arm pulling sideways thing Coach Suzanne mentioned. I have NO freakin' idea how I started doing that!

http://youtu.be/Gd6ln-OLzqQ
Old 03-29-2016

Zenturtle

Anyway, you are improving and getting a nice naturall roll in your stroke.
Try to get your pulling path left and right the same.
Old 03-29-2016

ysun29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by weakandpuny View Post
...aaand just about the time I think I'm totally all "High Elbow / Marionette Arm" when I see this latest video of me tonight and realize..mmm not so much. I can also clearly see the left arm pulling sideways thing Coach Suzanne mentioned. I have NO freakin' idea how I started doing that!

http://youtu.be/Gd6ln-OLzqQ
Your shoulder is really strong.
Old 03-31-2016

andyinnorway

I watched your march 28 Video.

There is evidence of not swimming straight as you snake side to side with body roll and breathing. This is using a lot of energy.

1. Slow the push off down (make it more patient and longer) and consciously relax at the start of each length. When I was learning my first mile I used to physically shrug out the shoulders to release tension.

2. put your nose over a line of grout on the bottom of the pool and see how well you can hold that position both between strokes and rolling for breath.

Do this as single length drill. Pause - repeat.

3. Put on a wet suit and realise for triathlon its a game changer. I know some people who struggle to swim 400m in the pool but can plod through a wet suited ironman swim no problem.
Old 03-31-2016

Zenturtle

looking at the stroke again i think he is also swimging the body sideways because of his extreme C shape underwater pull.
He is pushing the body sideways a lot at least at the start of this pull. Maybe also the other way around at the finish.
We have seen this before and this is what it does;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwVLsos8ItU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7odAbL3Ygts

and some more fun stuff with excavators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMxQfJe7OA

Think a bit more in straight lines and pulling your self forward on those 2 ladders lying 15-20 inch under the watersurface at shoulder with.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 03-31-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2016

weakandpuny

On the positive side, I'm getting closer to ironing out the odd C-shaped pull, and the "grabbing the ladder rung" metaphor helped my visualization. On the down side, I think I am still getting worse, and my breathing and head position is REALLY bad now (as compared to just bad before).

I'm considering doing about 3 weeks of just drills and no endurance work whatsoever. Swimming 4-5 times per week, what drills would the experts in the forum have me do, and for how long or how many repetitions?

http://youtu.be/bon4IgbY0uc
Old 04-12-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by weakandpuny View Post
On the positive side, I'm getting closer to ironing out the odd C-shaped pull, and the "grabbing the ladder rung" metaphor helped my visualization. On the down side, I think I am still getting worse, and my breathing and head position is REALLY bad now (as compared to just bad before).

I'm considering doing about 3 weeks of just drills and no endurance work whatsoever. Swimming 4-5 times per week, what drills would the experts in the forum have me do, and for how long or how many repetitions?

http://youtu.be/bon4IgbY0uc
On a positive note you're still passing the guy with the water weights!

I love swing switch and think it would be a great drill for you
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-12-2016

WFEGb

Hello weakandpuny,

Quote:
Among Mat's blog my recommendation (to all of his blog!!!) for that: How long

Best regards,
Werner
Old 05-29-2016
GinaCLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
How reliable is your breath? How often do you take in water? On many of your breaths it looks like you have plenty of clearance. If you watch Terry videos, his mouth is right at the surface. Sometimes taking water into his cheak and presumably spitting it out with exhale. It takes a lot of experience and comfort in the water to let your mouth that low, but I suspect if you rotate less for air it'll help with head position as Coach Suzanne points out and that too will help front/rear balance (get the rear up).
This is interesting. I'm a fairly new swimmer (doing TI about one year) and still have problems with the breath on freestyle. One thing I've been working on is not to panic if I get water in my mouth but just to expel it on the exhale and keep going. It's amazing how much with swimming is mental.

Not to overtake the video critique, but something I want to ask freestyle swimmers is... describe how a perfect stroke feels. I love TI for its use of imagery, this helps a lot, but I'm a verbal processor. I'd love to read descriptions of how the perfect freestyle stroke feels, especially in the moments right before and during the roll to breath.