Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-09-2016
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Andy,

thanks for your patience! Please excuse me, when it comes out on the nerves...



Does it mean, every FP is time directed and a result of set SR and SPL and neither in stroke technique? I ask, because I can't imagine that with your SRs there is any time left for any stroke-internally technique FPs.

Best regards,
Werner
no almost the opposite. I practice descending tt settings in order to process good stroke mechanics at increasing speeds.

It's a bit like asking a concert pianist if Rachmaninoff is so technically hard they are not able to put in any feeling. The brain adapts to the demands through deliberate practice. play it slow play it quicker, play it with feeling everytime.

Having said that I do push my stroke limit, especially on the lope timing beyond where I can concentrate on stroke technique as I find that has a big effect on perceived time when I slow it down to a controllable rate.

e.g. tt@0.5 full lope (3 beeps per 2 strokes) feels hurried an uncontrolled but has a big impact on how comfortable tt@0.65 full lope feels afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-09-2016
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

Tuesday 9th Feb

80mph wind gusts yesterday have blown the felt off the roof of my pool so today I was offered only the gym with no idea about when the pool will re-open.

Since I'm guessing everyone will migrate to the other pool in town, I'm going to spend the next two weeks in the 10m training pool, working on fast starts, kicks and lots of iterative tests.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-09-2016
WFEGb WFEGb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 1,104
WFEGb
Default

Hello Andy,

thank you for Details. Thin now I understand... and know somethings from own experience... with nearly doubled times....

Quote:
Since I'm guessing everyone will migrate to the other pool in town, I'm going to spend the next two weeks in the 10m training pool, working on fast starts, kicks and lots of iterative tests.
Would like to read your ideas how to train there. Sometimes I'm in a similar small hotel pool.

Best regards,
Werner
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-10-2016
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

10 Feb 2016 Prince Regent Pool

Warm up 4x100 long and lopey

My tt is out of action, the goggles fell on the floor and the clip broke so I'm going to silicone it back on but forgot so today was all about drills and feel.

Short pool Drills

12m pool
6x12m
FR kick
Dolphin kick side
BR kick
FR kick
Dolphin kick back
3 Strokes FR

I swam 4 intervals of this

Push offs/ stroke cycle acceleration

25BR up with 10m push off

13/14SPL FR back focusing on accelerating into the short side of the lope.

More dolphin

25m Dolphin kick (back) up
25m Relaxed FR back.

A Short set today as further to drive and early appointment elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-17-2016
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

11-17 February

Some swims in very busy pools. Using the time to work on dolphin kick, testing some single length metrics and lots of balance drills.

After 2 weeks of not being able to complete a single 50m without bumping into feet I am joining a local masters club which begins on Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-21-2016
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

21 Feb 2016

A successful first experience of masters swimming.

I joined my local club today for an hours session.

More repeats, less rest and no running into feet.

I've also entered the 50m freestyle for the European Championships in May so a fixed date now to test my performance target for 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-22-2016
CoachSuzanne CoachSuzanne is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,453
CoachSuzanne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
21 Feb 2016

A successful first experience of masters swimming.

I joined my local club today for an hours session.

More repeats, less rest and no running into feet.

I've also entered the 50m freestyle for the European Championships in May so a fixed date now to test my performance target for 2016.
first masters swim ever?
__________________
Suzanne Atkinson, MD
Level 3 USAT Coach
USA Paralympic Triathlon Coach
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-22-2016
Richardsk Richardsk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,380
Richardsk
Default

Hi Andy

Congratulations on managing to get your entry in. I was hoping to enter some breast and back events and make some qualifying times but had to miss the SER event because of a cold and then left my entry to the Welsh Championships too late and found almost all events full. I decided swimming in London was just vanity anyway, so decided to just concentrate of swimming

As a consolation prize I bought myself a Tempo Trainer and am exploring it. I'm not sure it's working properly. I can change the rate at which it beeps but so far it always displays the same time. I need to read the instructions, I suppose. I gather that there are many dissatisfied customers because of quality issues but perhaps it doesn't really matter if you don't know exactly what rate you're swimming at as long as you can synch to the beeps. So far I like it and find I can swim amazingly consistent times.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-24-2016
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
first masters swim ever?
Almost - I did try a masters club 19 years ago for about 6 weeks but we were ignored in the 6th lane so I stopped. I count this as starting again.

2nd session was good too, but there was a lot of butterfly!!! I tried a few then chose some different drills as swap outs.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-24-2016
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi Andy

Congratulations on managing to get your entry in. I was hoping to enter some breast and back events and make some qualifying times but had to miss the SER event because of a cold and then left my entry to the Welsh Championships too late and found almost all events full. I decided swimming in London was just vanity anyway, so decided to just concentrate of swimming

As a consolation prize I bought myself a Tempo Trainer and am exploring it. I'm not sure it's working properly. I can change the rate at which it beeps but so far it always displays the same time. I need to read the instructions, I suppose. I gather that there are many dissatisfied customers because of quality issues but perhaps it doesn't really matter if you don't know exactly what rate you're swimming at as long as you can synch to the beeps. So far I like it and find I can swim amazingly consistent times.
My third yellow tempo trainer has given up after just a few weeks. my surviving blue one is still working after 5 years.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.