Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009

Flailing Like Mad
Default That sinking feeling

Hi guys,

Quick question that I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on. I'm finding that when I'm in skate position everything is hunky dory, but when I roll to the other skate position I first sink down, then bob back up.

My gut feel is that it's not the roll that causes the sinking feeling, but instead it's when I pull, I might be pulling myself into the water, rather then through the water.

Or is it something to do with rolling between skates that is causing me to sink?

I guess what I can try tonight is rolling between skates without flapping my arms, and see if that helps, then try slowing down my pulls to see if that makes a difference.

I guess I've answered my own question there.
Old 07-23-2009

Rhoda

Make sure you're keeping your elbow high and not pulling down and then up again at the back.
Old 07-23-2009

elskbrev

You might be aiming your lead arm too low on the 'y' axis. (Easy Freestyle dvd: Lesson Two)

Last edited by elskbrev : 07-23-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2009

Flailing Like Mad

Thanks guys, will try both of them out next time I hit the water.
Old 08-22-2009

Flailing Like Mad

After a couple of weeks off from swimming, I hit the pool again the other night. I found that when I'm in skate position I'm fine, I can do my catch and pull and I'm fine to, but it's the actual act of rolling from one side to the other that causes me to sink.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? Am I rolling too fast and tend to be pushing myself into the water, rather than pulling myself over the water?
Old 08-23-2009

daveblt

If you are in skate and then are trying to roll to the other side to get air try to roll your body as a unit .If you are lifting your head or rolling your head first and leaving the body behind this could cause you to sink. Make sure you feel balanced before you roll. Also when you roll keep the head relaxed without pushing it down and in line with spine and top of the head pointing like a laser beam at the far wall and as previously mentioned check the position of the lead arm.

Dave
Old 08-23-2009

Flailing Like Mad

I'm fairly certain I'm rolling my body as a whole, though keeping my head looking down. Years of tai chi and martial arts training means I have pretty good body awareness.
It happens regardless of which direction of rolling, ie independent of breathing. I've even tried holding my breath in to see if that gives me the extra buoyancy I need, but to no avail.
I might try and slow down my roll and see if that helps. So go from skate, to flat, to opposite skate. Then I might be able to narrow down the moment that the sinking occurs.
Old 08-28-2009

weinzwei

Hey everyone, i have that sinking feeling too. If i inhale deeply and just let myself go i sink to the bottom of the pool(without in exhaling). For the last year i have thought that the sinking was a good thing and would benefit me in learning TI. I am now reconsidering since recentley i noticed that a majority of really good swimmers appear to have the water line hit them in the forehead. How do i get my head in a similar position while looking down? I thought i had been making good progress with my Ti learning but i think that i should be a little higher in the water? Is there somthing i can do based on my body composition to ride closer to the surface of the water? Swimming flatter and turning over my arms quicker has helped my body from sinking but my head still sinks and i have lost most of my propulsion from rotating. I can not find that bow wave with my head so far under water.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 08-28-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Flailing,
I am beginning to think that what you are experiencing is totally normal. When you are in skate, your body rests lower in the water than when you are flat. Only about 3% of the body floats, so when you are in skate that is a bit of your arm. When you are flat, that is a very thin sliver of your shoulders and rear end. So when you rotate, you will lift a bit as you go to flat, the drop a bit as you hit skate and bob back up into the skate at the surface. The fix would be to spend less time flat. Also, for me, that goes away as I move to full stroke. The faster tempo keeps me more stable.

Jon,
You may actually be a very rare, true sinker. One thing you mentioned that I want to address. While many elite swimmers look forward, many of them try not to. I heard an interview with Michael Phelps' coach in which he said he was trying to get Michael to keep his head down. Remember that the elite are often elite because their bodies make subtle adjustments that our bodies don't. Many of the elite get away with elements of bad technique. It is hard, at times, to figure out if a technique is helping them or allowing them to get away with something.
Old 08-28-2009

weinzwei

Thanks Coach Eric , i see swimmers around me making a nice bow wave and breathing into a pocket. I don't appear to make a bow wave because i am so far under water while i swim whole stroke. Do you create this bow wave / and breathing pocket continusly while you swim TI?

Thanks again,

Jon