Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011

just jules
Default Burning calories vs. building efficiency - how would you respond?

I'm still pretty new to TI, but I'm enjoying the process and the results so much. Fellow swimmers at our small community pool sometimes notice and comment (positively) on my form and efficiency (due to TI!) , so I've had opportunities to recommend this website and loan out my "Easy Freestyle" DVD. But I was stopped cold by this comment today: "You're already skinny. I don't want to become more efficient because I want to burn more calories in my workout." How would you (gently but "scientifically") respond? I want to sort out this issue in my own mind, even if this discussion never comes up again. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jules View Post
But I was stopped cold by this comment today: "You're already skinny. I don't want to become more efficient because I want to burn more calories in my workout." ...
It's up to the individual. There is no law or force that tells you to swim efficiently. A lot of people swim and don't care about efficiency, style, time, grace, easiness etc. And it is true: with a bad style you can have a marvelous workout in a very short time - it takes so much energy to swim inefficiently ;-)

I personally never evangelize people or comment on their swimming or argue about it. It's their point of view and they have the right to have whatever point of view, be it good or bad or completely stupid. Basically not my business. There is no question of right or wrong.

You can comment that you are lazy and already skinny so you have no choice but to swim efficiently ;-)
But I wouldn't argue...

Last edited by haschu33 : 06-17-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2011
Banned

Lawrence

You could try responding: "I love being skinny. I'm glad I can enjoy being efficient without worrying about my thighs."
Old 06-17-2011

RobM77

I'm just a beginner, but here's my take on this:

1) You won't be putting in less effort with TI, that's a fallacy. That's like saying a road bike doesn't keep you fit, whereas a mountain bike does (someone said that to me once actually!). What's actually true is that with TI, for the same effort you'll end up going further and faster than a poorer swimmer. That's not a reason to learn TI, because if fitness is your goal who cares how far or fast you swim, but it's wrong to say that you're burning less calories than a poor swimmer - that's only true if you're swimming at exactly the same speed and for the same length of time, which you almost certainly won't be.

2) If you learn to swim properly, then it's likely you'll enjoy it more and therefore end up spending more time swimming and burn more calories. This has certainly been the case for me.

3) If the person criticising you wants to lose weight, they'll need a constant and moderate level of exertion over a period of time. Most untrained swimmers won't manage that (especially in front crawl), whereas TI is able to achieve that for most people.

4) You're less likely to injure yourself or cause muscular or tendon problems if you swim properly.

5) It's satisfying to swim properly. Most people want to learn to do things properly don't they?

6) If you ever want to compete, you'll need to know how to swim better than the next person if you want to beat them!

7) On a seperate note, why is being skinny a goal for so many people? Skinny is not particularly attractive to most people, and it's not even aesthetically pleasing or even that healthy... It's a properly toned body that looks good and a good level of fitness that feels good. That's the difference between someone keen on sport and someone that just starves themselves; it's why Rebecca Adlington or Keri Anne Payne have better bodies than Kiera Knightly ;-) If you do a sport properly to a competitive level, you will be a healthy and fit human being. Skinny isn't part of that. That's not intended as a criticism to the thread starter (I expect skinny was just the overweight person's description of him/her, because most overweight people view others purely in the eyes of how much fat they've got, whereas most keen swimmers are not actually skinny - that's the preserve of marathon runners..).

Last edited by RobM77 : 06-17-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-17-2011

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM77 View Post
I'm just a beginner, but here's my take on this:

1) You won't be putting in less effort with TI, that's a fallacy. That's like saying a road bike doesn't keep you fit, whereas a mountain bike does (someone said that to me once actually!). What's actually true is that with TI, for the same effort you'll end up going further and faster than a poorer swimmer. That's not a reason to learn TI, because if fitness is your goal who cares how far or fast you swim, but it's wrong to say that you're burning less calories than a poor swimmer - that's only true if you're swimming at exactly the same speed and for the same length of time, which you almost certainly won't be.

2) If you learn to swim properly, then it's likely you'll enjoy it more and therefore end up spending more time swimming and burn more calories. This has certainly been the case for me.

3) If the person criticising you wants to lose weight, they'll need a constant and moderate level of exertion over a period of time. Most untrained swimmers won't manage that (especially in front crawl), whereas TI is able to achieve that for most people.

4) You're less likely to injure yourself or cause muscular or tendon problems if you swim properly.

5) It's satisfying to swim properly. Most people want to learn to do things properly don't they?

6) If you ever want to compete, you'll need to know how to swim better than the next person if you want to beat them!
Totally agree. Plus, poor swimmers wear themselves out because they can't breathe properly. Oxygen deprivation doesn't count as cardio.

Swimming at a relaxed pace may *feel* effortless, but it isn't.
Old 06-17-2011

eganov

Depends on your goals for any activity. Some swim for general fitness, some competition, some for fun, some as a workout, some to get back in shape, some for lifelong activity, etc. TI can be used for any of these.
Old 06-17-2011

haschu33

Ok, I am a little surprised how serious this discussion gets.
This "You're already skinny. I don't want to become more efficient because I want to burn more calories in my workout." is just one of these random remarks that you hear in various versions at various occasions quite often during the day - it is a little silly, devoid of any serious argumentation and a little stupid maybe. And, chances are good that it was simply a joke.
IMHO (= in my humble opinion) there is nothing to be taken serious about it.

But - of course - one might jump on it. You can jump on anything and start an argumentation. Personal taste, I guess. Or habit? Neuronal programming ;-)
But when you do it, don't use so many assumptions, please. There are so many people out there, and they have so different goals, views, plans, experiences. Even in our best phantasies we are unable to cope with what some people can think or subscribe to. Unfortunately we have a strong tendency to project our way of thinking onto others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Totally agree. Plus, poor swimmers wear themselves out because they can't breathe properly. Oxygen deprivation doesn't count as cardio.

Swimming at a relaxed pace may *feel* effortless, but it isn't.
There are a few examples in my community pool of people with a poor stroke and the ability to breathe marvelously and swim for long distances. Your logic here doesn't work so absolutely. And, I agree, that swimming at any pace always takes some effort, but that is completely independent of TI and has to do with the fact that you are in water. But for my taste (and I do not have a good fitness level nor am I the best TI swimmer in the world - (I cannot cover kms of swimming like you can) ) swimming at a relaxed pace I experience as relatively effortless.

KK, I hope you don't take this personally,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganov View Post
Depends on your goals for any activity. Some swim for general fitness, some competition, some for fun, some as a workout, some to get back in shape, some for lifelong activity, etc. TI can be used for any of these.
Yeah, there we go.

Just relax folks and let others do what they like. Meeting people with a different opinion does not count as a personal attack.

Hang on in there...

Last edited by haschu33 : 06-17-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2011
Banned

Lawrence

If only the hunger for detail on this board were proportional to swimming ability.
Old 06-17-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jules View Post
I'm still pretty new to TI, but I'm enjoying the process and the results so much. Fellow swimmers at our small community pool sometimes notice and comment (positively) on my form and efficiency (due to TI!) , so I've had opportunities to recommend this website and loan out my "Easy Freestyle" DVD. But I was stopped cold by this comment today: "You're already skinny. I don't want to become more efficient because I want to burn more calories in my workout." How would you (gently but "scientifically") respond? I want to sort out this issue in my own mind, even if this discussion never comes up again. Thanks!
laugh hysterically and/or reccomend him a good psychiatrist (for the scientific part)
Old 06-17-2011

westyswoods
Default Smile

I most likely would smile, laugh and walk away thinking, "He most likely bikes with flat tires also."

Have a great day

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy