Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011

foxjohng
Default ear-hop and two-beat kick

I've found a useful connection between doing ear-hops and starting the two-beat kick. I find that it's easy to keep my feet streamlined until the moment my hand leaves the water on an ear-hop. At that exact moment, I open my feet for the two-beat kick, which I perform just as my hand returns to the water.

I find that this makes the kick easy to synchronize, and keeps my feet streamlined easily for the maximum amount of time.
Old 06-01-2011

aerogramma

I used to meticolously try to do a movement very similar to yours and it's probably very good for what you're trying to achieve.

Lately after a few pointers given to me by a very elegant and efficent master swimmer, I've started leaving a rigid approach to 2bk behind.

I still try to use the torque but I'm not too concerned anymore with reproducing a straight 2bk a la Shinji, instead I let my feet gently flutter every now and then to help me stabilize.

Following again advice from the same master swimmer / former coach, I've changed my approach to ear hops too. Now I extend my arm farther, without a mailslot entry. It's early days but it feels really good and relaxed.

But better than my words you can see what Kery Anne Payne and Ryan Lochte do in the videos below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvmwrUdHEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4IgctibNg

Last edited by aerogramma : 06-02-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2011
Banned

Lawrence

What are ear-hops? They are mentioned in the DVD but poorly explained and you don't see elite swimmers making hopping motions with their hands, if that's what they are.
Old 06-02-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
What are ear-hops? They are mentioned in the DVD but poorly explained and you don't see elite swimmers making hopping motions with their hands, if that's what they are.
My take is that this describes an elbow that's always above the wrist.
During recovery the elbow/forearm/wrist 'hop' over the ear, then pierce smoothly with the hand relatively flat to the water, fingers pointed downward.
Old 06-02-2011

CoachKris

foxjohng - I believe it is a very interesting concept will try it tomorrow with my students, thank you.

Aerogramma - TI is a great base to build up on, if you find doing something differently working better for you then go for it, 2bk is a great way to understand hip drive and timing mechanism. Without mastering it first it is very hard to learn proper 6bk where every 3rd kick is aiding rotation. Mail slot is teaching you a clean entry and if you will watch Keri and any other elite swimmer you will see that they also enter with as little disturbance in the water as possible.

Lawrence - I believe that ear-hops are explained just fine, if I can understand it as a non native speaker I'm sure you should also be able to.
The reason why you can't see elite swimmers doing ear hops is quite simple, it is a drill that helps you improve arm recovery, you wont see catch up on any competitions and yet I guarantee you that it is one of the most popular drills in swimming history used very often by competitive swimmers on all levels
Old 06-02-2011

mjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
Following again advice from the same master swimmer / former coach, I've changed my approach to ear hops too. Now I extend my arm farther, without a mailslot entry. It's early days but it feels really good and relaxed.
Aero: check out the up close videos of Thomas Lurz (men, first video) and Karrie Anne Payne (women, 2nd video, click right arrow) at the BG Great Salford Swim, water temp under 60 degrees!

http://www.greatswim.org/TV/Default.aspx

Both have an extremely high turnover rate yet both are so smooth and relaxed. Head low except to sight. Further, the arm recovery is low--almost crablike--and yet the torso does not wriggle at all--perfect extension (no crossover) and nice streamline. They both seem to ride on top of a wave--a la Ian Thorpe--after reaching a certain speed. Can't wait to see the other swims in the series. --mjm
Old 06-02-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKris View Post
Lawrence - I believe that ear-hops are explained just fine, if I can understand it as a non native speaker I'm sure you should also be able to.
Yet you seem not to understand what I said. I don't understand what ear-hops are.
Old 06-02-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
My take is that this describes an elbow that's always above the wrist.
During recovery the elbow/forearm/wrist 'hop' over the ear, then pierce smoothly with the hand relatively flat to the water, fingers pointed downward.
So fingertip drag is wrong? Still unclear.
Old 06-02-2011

CoachKris

Lawrence - it is a drill that you will find on Easy Freestyle DVD, I thought you are familiar with it. Finger tip drag is a different drill I'm missing your point now
Old 06-02-2011

steve0732

Lawrence,

I am working at this lesson also. Just finished the stroke where you keep your wrist in the water and then progress to getting my elbow higher where the knuckles are in the water and then higher again where just the fingertips are in the water, finishing with a full stroke where the elbow is highest and the hand leaves the water.

When you get to the stage with your hand out of the water your hand leaves the water behind your ear and lifts over the ear and enters in front. From the side it must look like a little hop.

I am not an authority, but that is what I took it to mean if my exit and entry points get to far away from my ear then my elbows splash a lot because my arm is extended to far out a just drops not entering in the mail slot, but all at once.