Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011

DD_l_enclume

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
here is an audio representation of the stroke timing ratios.

The spear and glide is half of the stroke, the pull and recovery the other half, just the ratios of how much time the pull gets compared to the recovery that I was way off on in my stroke

http://youtu.be/o1zVQ1krDdo
I really like those timing thought.
But I'm a bit lost here.
How does the sound in that music is mapped to the stroke ?
Is that a 7 beat tempo you talk about ?
I can only hear 4 different sounds, 2 in each 1.1s repeats.

Would you mind Andy writing that music in a music sheet, with stroke phase under, just in place of the lyrics ?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2011

andyinnorway

Here you go, well almost. This would be the easy to learn 6/8 version that I would recommend anyway as the differences are minimal.

Terry has altered it slightly to give probably an intuitive advantage and squeezed a bit more time out of the stroke to give to a longer more relaxed recovery but the 6/8 timing below works very well too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ti stroke timing FINAL.jpg (14.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-30-2011

DD_l_enclume

Thanks,

does that mean that on your mp3, the 2 low pitch sounds are for "start pull" and "start recovering" on one side, and the 2 high pitch sounds following are the same for the other side ?

You music is hypnotic, it's in my head.
:-)
Old 11-30-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_13 View Post
It took me a year to understand what was wrong in my stroke timing. I posted a video in february : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmEHJfprPA. At that time, I used to begin the rotation during the second half of the recovery. As a consequence my hand entry was too close from my head, near the ear, resulting in a "flat and short stroke". Last summer I had a breakthrough by delaying my body rotation. I focused on trying to start the rotation after the end of the recovery just when the recovering hand enters water. I believe it has fixed my hand entry issue : now my hand enters water in front of my head and the spearing phase benefits from the weight shift : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNyMTnGV40. In short : before was "recovery with rotation" after is "rotation after recovery".

Hello richard, I'm not sure I'm able to appreciate the rotation differences in the videos you posted.
to me the biggest change in your stroke is that you have lenghtened it.
Your hand enters much further ahead now, giving you more stability. You're basically leaving mail slot behind, which is something I have done too with good success.

having said that the videos are shot at different angle in different condition so I might be juding them incorrectly

all the best
Old 11-30-2011

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
... I have tried to attach a little mp3 file as its easier to understand musically. Stroke rate for the music is 55 and it feels very relaxed as a greater proportion of my stroke is devoted to gentle activity, only one seventh is pushing against the water.
The two arm cycles overlap. Since the 'pushing against the water' phases do not overlap each other you get 2 seventh of pushing and 5 seventh of only gentle activity. Still good but not quite that dramatic.
Old 11-30-2011

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_l_enclume View Post
Thanks,

does that mean that on your mp3, the 2 low pitch sounds are for "start pull" and "start recovering" on one side, and the 2 high pitch sounds following are the same for the other side ?

You music is hypnotic, it's in my head.
:-)
your right that its two sided to represent both arms in opposite cycles.

So the two short notes are the pull and recovery with the pull being shortest then the long low note would be the spear. I put the opposite hand an octave lower so that it hears differently in the brain.

I thought it was like an annoying wind charm but glad you like it