Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_l_enclume View Post
Hello,
Can you explain a little bit please.
I'm not familiar with music code (even though I can play a few different rythm on guitar, I never tried to learn the theory).

I've always missed a rythm explanation in all swimming methods (I think I've already asked a related question on this board).

Please, correct me if I'm mistaken:
It's like having 3 beats per cycle. Like you set your TT to 3 times faster that the correct timing.
With something like :

.....................Left Hand...........Right Hand
.....................------------........-------------
T=0.................Spear................Pull
T=1.................Wait.................Pull
T=2.................Wait.................Recover
T=3.................Pull.................Spear
T=4.................Pull.................Wait
T=5.................Recover..............Wait
T=6 repeat
You have understood my point correctly except but between 2 and 3 I lever my forearm into the catch so that it is set up for the pull as the opposite hand starts to spear.

and Yes For a Stroke rate of 1.35 I would set my TT on 0.45 and aim for smoothness, relaxation and glide.

I think we should avoid starting a discussion about Swim smooth and their opinion of Ti. My thread subject title was merely meant as an illustration to the 3.4 versus 4.4 timing or the classic ski versus freestyle ski.

Both sites have a positive approach to improved swimming technique, my opinion is that TI have scientific (and holistic) advantages and that ticks my box. :)
Old 11-09-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Just my opinion.

Total immersion is the swimming equivalent of freestyle (skating) technique in cross country skiing whereas swim smooth is an optimised version of classic technique. Freestyle technique is much faster than classic on skis.

The extended glide involved in a skating technique lends it to thinking in a 3/4 time (waltz) rather than a straight 4/4. I believe that is the underlying reason why it is a superior technique.

Comments Please.
Is great you are thinking about musical rhythm and swimming, it's one of the reason why I always cringe when people put music under their video.. let me hear the natural splashing rhythm of a good swimmer... plenty of good info there.

however careful about a couple of points: as I understand it TI doesn't advocate any 'extended' glide, far from it. It does support 'extended' spearing, patient lead hand and streamline.. which may look like extended gliding but should definitely be not - as I understand it.

and the other point: if you really want to think in 3, you have to give yourself an accent every 3 - like your breathing pattern - otherwise is just like a 4/4

:)
Old 11-10-2011

Richardsk

Hello folks
In my opinion the correct musical rhythm for a six-beat kick is 6/8 rather than 3/4. There are three leg beats to each arm stroke and six beats to a cycle. If you swim with a two-beat kick you can still think of it as 6/8 or if you prefer you can think of it as 6/8 with the conductor beating two to a bar (as they often do in brisker tempos). Similarly conductors often beat a waltz as one to a bar rather than three to a bar. Obviously viewed one way, one measure of 6/8 can be imagined as two measures of 3/8, but there is a subtle difference in accent. Since the arm stroke in fairly leisurely swimming is quite slow, it is easy to see how one might think of the rhythm as 3/4 on each arm stroke but if you take the whole cycle as one measure it has to be 6/8 or 6/4.
Old 11-10-2011

andyinnorway

Agreed, but I wanted to express the feeling of the rhythm as a viennese waltz rather than a 6/8 groove (e.g. queen somebody to love) as the legato of the waltz is important to the relaxation of the swim stroke. But of course there would be two "waltz" cycles per one swim cycle.

A lot of the 6/8 music you could think of while you swim would encourage you to jab at the water on the spear as the first beat accent is much stronger and instant.
Old 11-10-2011

DD_l_enclume

I like ir a lot.

Music could be a way too *feel* the music.

That would be an accompishment for TI, to rise (raise?) swimming toward an art form like music.

What about a music background for the future TI DVD drill/swim sessions ?
Old 11-10-2011

aerogramma

well since we are talking about music and swimming I couldn't really not post this :)

this summer RAI - the italian national tv network - commissioned me the music to go with their coverage of 2011 World Aquatics Championships in Shanghai

little they know I was a stubborn swimmer myself

here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MhZ6U0FdkM
Old 11-10-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
This summer RAI - the italian national tv network - commissioned me the music to go with their coverage of 2011 World Aquatics Championships in Shanghai...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MhZ6U0FdkM
Classy job aerogramma.
Old 11-11-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
Classy job aerogramma.
cheers borate :)