Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKris View Post
Aerogramma - TI is a great base to build up on, if you find doing something differently working better for you then go for it, 2bk is a great way to understand hip drive and timing mechanism. Without mastering it first it is very hard to learn proper 6bk where every 3rd kick is aiding rotation. Mail slot is teaching you a clean entry and if you will watch Keri and any other elite swimmer you will see that they also enter with as little disturbance in the water as possible.
Thanks kevin, I agree with you TI is a great base to build upon.
Mailslot and ear hops are perhaps not suited or too diffucult to master for me, so I'm trying alternatives.

Keri Anne Payne is a great example of a clean entry without a mail solt entry, as per terry's analysis :)
Old 06-02-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm View Post
Aero: check out the up close videos of Thomas Lurz (men, first video) and Karrie Anne Payne (women, 2nd video, click right arrow) at the BG Great Salford Swim, water temp under 60 degrees!

http://www.greatswim.org/TV/Default.aspx

Both have an extremely high turnover rate yet both are so smooth and relaxed. Head low except to sight. Further, the arm recovery is low--almost crablike--and yet the torso does not wriggle at all--perfect extension (no crossover) and nice streamline. They both seem to ride on top of a wave--a la Ian Thorpe--after reaching a certain speed. Can't wait to see the other swims in the series. --mjm
cheers mjm!
Old 06-02-2011

borate

Quote:
aerogramma said: Keri Anne Payne is a great example of a clean entry without a mail slot entry, as per Terry's analysis.
I don't discern a great deal of entry hand difference between
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLC_xA07taM

Keri Anne's reach may be a bit longer but her entry is splash-free and smooth - as is Terry's.

Yes, as he mentioned in a recent post: "We need to take care to avoid interpreting TI - and applying its Focal Points - with excess rigidity.
In evaluating someone's form, it's most important to look at the overall effect of all its parts."

Last edited by borate : 06-03-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2011

aerogramma

hello borate,
wise words from terry... to my (untrained perhaps) eye there's a world of difference between the two entries.

keri anne's arm is straight, while terry's enters at an angle with the elbow slightly bent.
Furthermore what happens underwater as a consequence of such entry makes the difference even greater. In a mailslot entry you fully extend your arm underwater at steeper angle, and the rotation mechanics are quite different from the ones displayed so well by keri annes's straight arm entry... to me at least :)
Old 06-03-2011

foxjohng
Default ear-hops

When I referred to ear-hops, I meant the exercise taught to us in my TI freestyle workshop. It is a "purposeful exaggeration" meant to keep you from extending your hand too far forward before inserting it into the water. In ear-hops, the hand leaves the water just for a moment, then almost immediately is reinserted into the water. It's as though your hand just "hops" over the ear then goes back into the water. I find that the moment your hand comes out of the water gives a well-timed opening of the feet, and the reinsertion tells you when to give the toe-flick.
Old 06-03-2011

CoachKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
Thanks kevin, I agree with you TI is a great base to build upon.
just for the record it's Kris ;P

foxjohng - I've tested your approach today with 4 students and they were getting a bit confused with an idea of opening their legs, after a few tries I've changed that a bit and asked them to bring the bottom/opposite leg up to the surface to make it ready for a flick and that worked better, but the concept of joining 2bk practice with an ear hops worked really well thanks again.