View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
Another note i just remembered this morning. In a seminar i was talking with some PTs out of Eastern Europe about stabilization and running, and they remarked that often people get hamstring cramps because they are substituting for lack of IAP stabilization of the pelvis when they run. the hamstrings are trying vainly to stop the pelvis from rocking and get wiped out. So yes many muscles can substitute for lack of IAP and it is doable to stabilize without good IAP. many exceptional athletes are also exceptional compensators and compensate themselves to amazing performances. however, if you want to perform activity for the rest of your life, you should use the right muscles in the right tasks and not compensate, or else it raises the chance for injury, which is something that happens to most exceptional athletes.
My problem with running (and walking) was that I would come down on my forward foot when it was in front of my body, a tendency that is often referred to as heel striking. This also means that you need your hamstrings to pull your leg back, and 25 years ago I started getting my first repetitive hamstring injuries (which ultimately led me to swimming). So the most important corrective action was to learn to land on my foot when it is directly underneath my body. This lessens impact, but it also means that the glutes can be used to stabilize the hip as the opposite leg is recovering. In this regard, I realized that I am not using my glutes in a continual fashion, which you warned me against. I use them as a counterbalance to my recovering leg, so that they are working primarily only during half the running cycle. This gives them the opportunity to recover.