View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016

Danny

PLEASE IGNORE THE PREVIOUS POST, SOMEHOW MY TYPING GOT MESSED UP AND IT IS ALL REPRODUCED CORRECTLY HERE.

David,

Thanks again for your detailed answers. I fear that this thread may be veering a little of topic (although maybe not), but I am reluctant to pass up the opportunity to pick your brains on these anatomical subjects.

First of all, it may help to acknowledge that d-breathing is not a complete solution to all problems. I am not sure to what extent it is playing a role in my hip and lower back issues, but some of the things you mentioned may point to other issues as well. I read somewhere that the lower spine should tilt up a little like a candy cane when standing properly, and as soon as I started focusing on this my lower back issues greatly improved. Your comments below indicate that I might have a tight psoas, which is why I need the glutes to counteract this. The pulling of my lumber spine forward when I slouch in my chair while working is a prime suspect as cause for this. So I have been working on these issues and it affords me a much greater level of comfort when walking and standing. Especially in the morning just after I get up, bending over can be an issue and paying attention to these things helps there too.

Should I be trying to stretch out my psoas and if so how?

Right now I focus on doing these things consciously. I don't know whether or not my glutes can maintain this level of work indefinitely, but they certainly suffice to walk comfortably 6-8 miles.

As for swimming, my focus is more on maintaining a level position in the water, and my head and upper body position seem to play the biggest role in doing this. During swim rotation, the hips rotate, not only up and down, but also forward (as you reach with the spear) and back (as your recovering hand comes out of the water). If this motion is not coupled smoothly with the shoulder and spear, there is a Kachunk, Kachunk feeling in the rotation. When the timing of all of these things are well tuned to each other, it feels as if my spine is remaining motionless and the rotation is occurring around it smoothly and without disturbing the position of my body axis. This is what I aim at. It may be that d-breathing plays an important role in all of this, but my sense at this point is that the timing of my shoulders and hips are the low hanging fruit in this optimization problem for me, at least right now.

Thanks again for your willingness to go after these issues with me.