View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018
hercusg@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi hercusg,

I'm all of 5' 8" and don't have a problem. Short or tall, the priority is balance and streamline whether you're a sprinter, mid or long distance swimmer. What/which conventional methods are causing you issues or are not working? Swimming like Janet Evans is great for Janet Evans, but not for the rest of us non Olympians.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Full disclosure, I am new to swimming. I swam a little at school and then did nothing for 20 odd years. I started doing biathlons two years ago at the age of 39. My running is very strong and I managed a 1:09 over 100m sprint in the pool. I do think you get away with bad technique in the sprints when you are really fit (which I am).

I am 5 foot 7. I had a swim analysis done as I need to get closer to 1:05 to be competitive at national level.

The annalist told me that I need to build my swim stroke from scratch. (Yes it is that bad). He mentioned that since I am short, I have to swim with a higher stroke rate and avoid gliding to much as I will loose speed. He did mention that my balance is bad when I swim at "cruising" pace.

Do you think I am being unrealistic with my goal to drop by a further 4 seconds?