View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Sclim,

there is a short video from (Master)Coach David Cameron about the HEC, where he demonstrates the TI-point of view.

Last but not least we should think more about Terry's: Don't move water around, move your body forward. A good/ergonomic lever will be helpful, as much drag as possible will be helpful too, but if both are just used to move water around in vortex and whirl, we're simply "wasting" energy. So the miracle of the individual best catch and press (I think) will be that one, where we will feel the greatest ball of water behind our arm against which we can press ourself forward without disturbing the ball/water or only in least manner. And we can only achieve that with the simple - or better the much more difficult thing: We have to find the very best feeling for the water to become able to do so.

Best regards,
Werner
As you may deduce from the direction of my questioning, I have a very poor sense of "feel" so far, and I was hoping to find "by the numbers" the most efficient forearm paddle orientation, and even some clue as to the complete arm trajectory that gives the "best grab of the ball of water" with the minimum of disruption of that ball during the grab and after it is let go, as well as the minimum of drag of those parts of the arm that are unavoidably exposed to frontal drag.

The more I reflect upon the complexity of the factors, the changing pluses and minuses of forces in real time as the stroke goes through its cycle, I realize the unavoidable truth of what you are saying -- the only way to develop an efficient (non-energy wasting) stroke, and to arrive at your own most efficient stroke is to monitor your constant various micro-experimentational changes in hand and arm angle and positioning in real time by feel. So there is no alternative except to develop this feel.

I have been trying to expose myself to this feel. Sometimes as I initiate the catch at the hand I think I can get a glimpse of this feel on my fingers and palm, and if I am diligent and lucky, sometimes this feel of a heavy ball of water expands to a more tangible resistance on my forearm as I anchor the mid-stroke. So I think I just have to be more diligent in my attempts at sensitivity.