View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009

FrankJ
Default Speed vs. economic swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem View Post
Hi is this assumption correct according to you?

TI is primarly focusing on economic swimming and because you save energy, you can swim a bit faster and moreover you can hold your speed longer on longer distances! But speed is in TI rather a consequence of saving energy and swimming economic.
Traditional swimstyles are perhaps more focused on raising speed? And are also more efficient for increasing swimspeed? Disadvantage is that they focus less on economic swim?
According to this assumption you should conclude that the traditional swimstyles would be more valuable in swimcompetitions in short distances. And TI would then be better for swimcompetitions on longer distances and triathlons on longer distances (because you can come out the water still relative fresh).

Is this a correct thought?!? Or do you find it crap?!

PS: I practise triathlons and the swim is certainly my worst part of the race. I am motivated to improve my swimming and TI seems for me an ideal learning school because I do not have really a lot of talent. I'll follow a workshop in the UK in November and expect much of it!
PS: Excuse me for my sloppy english :-)

Best regards
Willem
Hi Willelm,

I've been practicing TI for only a year, so I'm sure other members on this forum would be able to answer this better than me. But here are my 2 cents.

My understanding of the TI principles, is that economy is desirable component and outcome of good form. Specifically, one of the ideas that initially attracted me to TI as opposed to traditional swimming was the emphasis being put on streamlining and reducing drag, which in the water is preponderant.

By reducing drag, the effort being equal, you will go faster irrespective of the speed you aim for. Imagine putting a parachute behind a Ferrari. If you remove that parachute, you will go faster, whether your engine is revving at 2000rpm or 10000rpm. I see this as a basic physical principle that can be generalised beyond swimming, as the same applies to cars, boats, etc. This is how, to me, economic swimming contributes to speed. Instead of spending energy by creating wasteful turbulence, you invest it in forward motion, and in this sense the ideas of TI hold true whether you are aiming to go fast on a short distance, or save energy to swim 10 miles...

I was swimming with a 'traditional' style. In UCSD, I had some private lessons. They said my style was good (I'm not disputing their coaching abilites, I'm referring to a specific case here that involved a 'traditional' instructor). Well, it was not. I was neither fast, nor I could swim for very long as I got tired quickly. Things changed radically when I started with TI. I’m still an ungifted athlete, but much better than before nevertheless.

Last edited by FrankJ : 08-06-2009 at 02:03 PM.