View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Stuart, I continue to have trouble with this. If you want to vault over your low side arm, it has to be anchored, and the anchor is not there just after I spear forward. So it takes some time to set that anchor. One way to have a speedy recovery and anchor fast is to move from the spear to the anchor at an earlier stage in the high side recovery, but I don't see how speeding the recovery will trigger a low side arm vault as you claim above. Can you please explain?
Hi Danny,

It's much more simple than all the complexities I read on this forum and elsewhere. As long as you hold your edge and resist the impulse to pull, allow the high-side arm's weight and momentum to rotate the body, the "catch", "vaulting arm" will shape naturally. The high side arm triggers the low side arm, not the other way around. Stop focusing on what's moving back, and primarily what's moving forward. Controlling the positions of the low side arm through rotation will probably be wrong and worse be in a position, out of leverage that will do damage to the shoulders and provide no benefit to propulsion.

In short, the focus is to send the high side arm to its forward destination as you feel feather light pressure on the low side arm moving back - the vaulting, hold/grip of the water happens. It you snap the vault (by pulling) you lose the external forces of momentum gained from the hight side arm moving forward. Also "feather light" feel is subjective given the swimmer's experience, i.e your feather light feel can be my most firm feel.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com