View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013

Superfly

I would agree that you want to keep the tempo in the 1.1 to 1.3 second/stroke range for fast fly, but slower tempo for working on technique and building stamina. I go even further and divide the full stroke into 4 so I end up setting the metronome to 0.3 seconds (for a 1.2 second/stroke rate) for fast fly, or 0.4 seconds for building stamina. The reason for this is to ensure that I'm swimming rhythmically and kicking evenly both down and up. One beep matches a down kick, followed by another beep for an up kick, and so on. 4 beats equal a full stroke.

Note that the beeps can become grating after a while, so that's why I now use an underwater iPod Shuffle. The key is to pick songs that have matching BPM (Beats Per Minute). For example, the Rollings Stones' "19th Nervous Breakdown" is 190 BPM so that works out to 0.32 second/beat which is fast fly.

I have song playlists that progressively increase the tempo with each new song. It works well for me, although I sometimes feel that Butterfly is a cruel mistress. But then I feel wonderful after the great workout.

Last edited by Superfly : 11-17-2013 at 10:43 PM.