Thread: Both sides now.
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010

Janos

Terry,
Through this thread,I am trying to establish whether there is a connection between underlying physiological weakness and flexibility and its effect on learning to swim in the TI way.Whilst doing everyday things we build up strength and flexibility on our 'good' side without really noticing, until we either get an injury through muscle imbalance or we try to learn a new skill, like TI!..and find we have a 'chocolate' and a 'vanilla' side! To save hours of frustration in the pool, can the learning process be speeded up by using a swim specific gym or exercise regime? is there a minimal degree of flexibility and fitness that must be achieved to allow us to be 'fit' enough to start to learn, or achieve the smoothest possible stroke?
i.e if we use neck flexibility in the context of breathing in freestyle. Most people only have a bare 180 degrees of movement from side to side, and when at full extension, never really exert themselves in that position. Yet when they are swimming, the neck goes through ninety degrees of movement or more, and the swimmer then needs to take a hurried breath whilst moving horizontally through the water.
I was wondering if through everyday activities, do we develop a more flexible, readily used side, and erode our spatial awareness and physical capabilities on the other. Which then need to be strengthened and retrained, by other means than swimming, to achieve full balance?do you think there is a need for a specific dryland TI routine, to shorten learning times, solve breathing issues and increase power?

Janos

Last edited by Janos : 06-13-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: waffling