View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013

swim2Bfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
I didn't find that sentence you quoted in the blog, but accept it's somewhere in summary as you note. The spirit of the message is there even if you paraphrased.
It's not a paraphrase, it's a direct quote. Go to the main page - www.swimwellblog.com. Look at the summary for the post we are discussing.

Quote:
The problem you have of Terry, you seem to have the same issue. It's clear you don't agree with slower tempo hip driven stroke, and that's fine.
I think you misinterpret me. I think a slower tempo hip driven stroke is fine - like I said, "different strokes for different folks." I disagree with Terry that it is somehow superior to a shoulder driven stroke.

Quote:
You assert 'high tempo shoulder drivers thrive in open water' based on your experience and observations, just as Terry makes his assertions given his experience, observations that also line up with Skinner's.
My actual quote was "shoulder drivers thrive in rough water." The distinction is key. I also didn't say other types couldn't thrive too, just that it's demonstrably true that many high tempo swimmers do well in rough water.

Terry's observations do not line up with Skinner's. Skinner was talking about pool swimming - short course vs. long course. There are far too many different variables in open water justify the logical leap from "hip driven stroke is superior in long course pool swimming" to "hip driven stroke is superior in open water."

PS, I swim in SF Bay too. Year-round, without a wetsuit. The colder the water, the rougher the water, the higher my stroke rate. Seems to work for me.