View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2Bfree View Post
Not just elite. Masters-level too. Different strokes for different folks.

Problem is, Terry doesn't say, "These are my own experiences, not necessarily applicable to everyone." He writes as if he's discovered a universal truth. Here is his post summary from the main page at swimwellblog.com:

"A longer, lower-tempo, hip-driven freestyle is a clear advantage in 50m pools, distances over 200 years and especially in open water."

Even a cursory observation of open water racing at various levels - Masters, triathlons, and elite OWS - suggests that the opposite is true, especially in rough water, which is the topic of this thread. High tempo shoulder drivers thrive in rough water.
I didn't find that sentence you quoted in the blog, but accept it's somewhere in summary as you note. The spirit of the message is there even if you paraphrased.

The problem you have of Terry, you seem to have the same issue. It's clear you don't agree with slower tempo hip driven stroke, and that's fine. You assert 'high tempo shoulder drivers thrive in open water' based on your experience and observations, just as Terry makes his assertions given his experience, observations that also line up with Skinner's. I'm not going to argue with success, Shelly is a clear example of shoulder driven high tempo stroke, but (at least in this video) she's swimming in quiet waters as compared to SF Bay or west coast in the afternoons. Given my experience and observations, swimming in the SF Bay challenging conditions, I've seen more swimmers get turned upside down and/or go distressed with strokes like Shelly's. These folks are not elite like Shelly - but it's fair to say masters, avid (calm) open water lake or ocean swimmers, and/or accomplished triathletes.

Shoulder driven does not work for me in longer distances whether it be calm or choppy, but it works for others I'm sure. Whatever works well and allows the swimmer to thrive regardless of conditions or environment. And as you quote, "Different strokes for different folks".

Cheers!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM