View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs10 View Post
I wonder if any top swimmers time their movements to the swells, such as cruise up power down. It would bring new meaning to the phrase "swimming downhill". The ocean here is often what could be described as "washing machine " conditions with bare minimal visibility.
yes of course they do. You can feel the water movement and if you are surging forward with a swell then a firm grip on the water helps keep that momentum. when the swell moves back, which it always will a lighter effort conserves your energy. Side to side or diagonal swells or waves are much more iteresting and the ability to recovery and strkoe each arm indiependantly .. that is, not yoked together across the upper back is vital.

the water is so much more powerful than we are and the water will always win if we choose to fight. Have you tried swimming in the "washing machine" conditions? I don't doubt that they are rough, but what I consider a wahsing machine would occur nearer the shore where water returnign from the shore meeting waves oming in would just create changes in many directions at once.

On the other hand, swimmign in nearly any conditions less than "small craft warning" away from shore a bit should result in a predictably pattern of wind and wave direction that allows you to find your groove just fine.

Waves/current in wone direction adn wind in the opposite creates surface chop only...not a big deal in realty but it LOOKS scary on the surface.

I would much prefer to be swimming than in a kayak or boat when waves get > 2 feet and it's windy.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle