View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Charles
If I were to substitute a different phrase for practice in the 'total TI way' would you agree it would be desirable to practice in this way every single time -- no exceptions?

Here's the phrase:
Always observe principles of Deliberate Practice.

It's been observed by Anders Ericsson PhD, Daniel Coyle, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi PhD, George Leonard, Malcolm Gladwell, Joshua Foer and many more that people in a wide range of fields who are committed to this kind of practice improve more and experience a higher degree of fulfillment.

Knowing this, why would any thinking person not commit fully to Deliberate Practice?

Speaking for myself -- yet borrowing a phrase from Hadar Aviram (who will swim Tampa Bay Marathon on Saturday) -- I 'never swim a stroke in vain.'
I hadn't had a chance to come back to this thread to answer CharlesCouturier more fully, but I agree here in that if your swim technique is not at a high or refined level, it is too easy to re-burn in bad habits unless you focus on improvement EVERY time you get in the water.

I've had clients who train with me, then thank me for pointing out stroke deficiencies and for the menu of corrective actions and improvements. Then I see them a few months or a year later and they are back to swimming the way I first saw them! Some have told me that they were delighted to have increased speed, ease, etc. in the beginning, and when they come back they complain of loss of speed, ease, etc.

So the danger of "just swimming" when you're learning is that it is too easy to regress or lose all that neuromuscular swim training. Until these great swim habits become real habits, one must keep a laser focus on burning in good habits and removing the current habits or else the currently resident habits will just overpower the new ones you're trying to burn in.

My hope is that once I pick up a TI student, that I not only turn them into great swimmers, but also turn them into great learners and make them realize that with focus and dedication, attention to details, and building an awareness of self of when you are "on" and when you are "off" that they can not only become great swimmers but actually can learn something new and do anything in their lives, no matter how young or old they are.

Last edited by CoachDavidShen : 04-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.