View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Excellent post Coach David. The best point is remaining metally engaged (on your own) during sets at masters. You've given great suggestions which will encourage TI Swimmers to join masters group, this is important.

The only thing I suggest adding is to find ways to compliment what the coach is calling out on deck, become a lane leader & encouraging others. I don't normally draw attention to myself by deviating too much from the coach's plan/workout. When the pull buoys come out, I swim with legs quietly drafting behind the torso like I have a buoy on and work on balance and timing up front. If paddles come out, I gently note, "rotator cuff injury" it's a bit too much pressure on shoulder - and go without. If it's a kick set, I do superman and push the board with my head. When there are 20, 30+ swimmers, any slight deviation gets lost in the noise, and I'm still with the group. And often I'll go to slower lanes and draft off the slower swimmers and see how my stroke holds up, and faster lanes to and try to hang on to their wheelhouse. Coaches seem to like this diversity too

The masters coach wants swimmers to keep coming back to workouts, that's a priority. Complimenting their practice, cooperating, encouraging others, it becomes fun - coaches love swimmers at masters like this, at least all I've encountered. And doing so, you get noticed in a positive way rather than as adversarial "TI". Also, masters workouts is where I've gotten many private students too - wooohooo! :-)

Happy Swimming!

Stuart

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 04-17-2013 at 10:10 PM.