View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub View Post
I forgot to mention, that with the help of the Rangs, I may have succeeded in zeroing in on when the legs sink. When I start the lap, I push off the wall into a superman glide before I start my strokes. I glide about 5 yards or so and my legs do not sink. With my face still in the water and looking directly below me, I do two strokes, my legs don't sink. Then I take a breath and put face back into the water which is when I can feel my legs sink a little. Then I begin to make adjustments to streamline my body, bring my feet back up over the next two strokes with my face still in water.

I need to video my stroke so I can post here for suggestions. I think it may be the way I turn to breath in and put my face back in the water. The mechanics may be wrong throwing my body off balance.

Dubdub
yes the head lifting or pulling offline will drop the legs instantly, you learn to recover position quicker but the real answer is move the head as little as possible with no lifting
its not easy and i still struggle with this but i know when the legs start to drop so i can recover position very quickly with a snap back down of the face / slight press on the chest etc.

top swimmers minimise breathing because they say it causes too much disruption to the stroke.

There is also "head lead" which is a type of technique where the head breathing and return leads the stroke but that is a whole other story