View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014

Talvi

I'm not a coach, I am barely a competent swimmer but as you've not got any replies I'll pitch in.

I bought got a snorkel to help me practice. In the end I've hardly used it. I didn't find it really helped me though it was interesting using it.

The problem for me is that with a snorkel I find much less incentive to rotate and so rotate less. When I have to breathe normally I have to rotate better and then have some measure to balance rotation on the other side.

Having said that using a snorkel eliminates the complexity of breathing and so does allow more intense focusing on elements of the stroke.

I think, like any tool, a snorkel can help but whether it does or not depends on how you use it. Maybe it'll help you. I don't think there is much of a down side. In the end you have to learn to breathe and doing that is to my mind more important than anything else in the stroke.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov