View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
What really stood out was that I could also choose to simply rest LONGER prior to trying the 150m with the aim of keeping my stroke counts at 37/38.
A key difference between TI and the traditionalists is they consider rest intervals sacred. We think of them--in the words of sociologists, engineers, and other empirical types-- as just a 'data point.'

Training sets become far more interesting--and produce far more valuable insight--when you think of them as little experiments.

In the set example I gave above, I changed the rest interval in the 2nd half of the set, as tempos were getting faster, to give me a bit better chance at success. During the 3 rounds of 5 x 100 increasing tempo, I rested for 10 beeps between 100s. While the traditionalists think the demands of physiology should receive first consideration, I think the requirements of neural adaptation that allows a better combination of SL/SR come first.

Yet I don't ignore physiological considerations. So resting for 10 beeps after swimming for nearly 90 beeps, a 9:1 work:rest ratio is solidly aerobic. That lets me know the set will prepare me for the metabolic demands of distance swimming.

As tempos got faster I increased rest to 20 beeps between 100s. A bit more recovery yet -- at a better than 4:1 work:rest ratio still solidly aerobic. The bit of extra recovery gave me a better shot at maintaining efficiency. And that's always my #1 priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Once a test set has been done (like I mentioned above), "training" sets can be designed with specific goals in mind that will be unique to each swimmer in the group...yet all can share in the same workout, or practice as we like to refer to them.
In essence my first round of 5 x 100 was a test set, as Suzanne calls it. Most days I do exactly this. I use my first 8 to 10 minutes of swimming as a test set, which sets the parameters for improvement. In this case the parameters were
Distance - 100m
Rest - 10 beeps (10+ seconds)
Stroke Length (86-89 strokes/100)
Tempo - 1.06

ANY improvement on any combination of those parameters in subsequent sets tells me I'm going in the right direction.

Some time ago on this Forum there was a lengthy discussion of what are "slow" and "fast" times. I took the position that such labels mainly serve to limit us or make us feel bad, and are essentially meaningless without specific context. What is 'slow' for a 35 y.o. man might be incredibly fast for a 55 y.o. woman? Conversely what is 'slow' for a 65 y.o. woman who is a world-ranked Master could be massively impressive for a 25 y.o. male who has just swum his first mile.

So I prefer to just establish MY parameters for TODAY's practice and work on improving them. Whatever they are.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story