View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
c. Hips and legs seem to zig-zag behind the body. Not sure why. Could be that the recovery hands cross the center line instead of staying on wide tracks. Have you tried swimming next to the pool wall and ensure your spearing hand/arm stay parallel to the wall and do not come inside?
let me elaborate that a little more.
The idea is to always rotate your body like a log. There shouldn't be any flexing in the horizontal plane, only rolling.
Look at the video from 00:50 when Joseph pushes off the second time shot from behind.
Now what happens is this: take the left side, when you start to recover. You are on your right side (on that side it is even more obvious), your right arm is spearing. When you start your recovery you start to flex backwards. If you were standing straight it would mean you flex backwards, like wanting to look up into the sky. You are not straight anymore. You form quite a strong hollow back, which means, as you are on you right side, you start to come off your straight direction to the right. It has to do with your recovery, when you start to lift your arm out of the water you pull your upper shoulder strongly backwards. The shoulder and arm on top of the body are a strong lever and bring you out of balance - actually you start to over-rotate - your legs counteract and become flexed backwards as well. They do that to prevent you from 'falling' backwards. When your elbow is at it's highest point in the recovery your whole body is for a moment shaped like a bow, backwards. Then you do your stroke and then flex again, this time to he other side. Thus you create a zig-zag pattern, not a straight line. A bow to the right side, a bow to the left side, ...

I think you should get the idea of rolling like a log. Or focus on having a long, long lower back, particularly when starting to recover. Or get the idea of sucking your belly in (maybe it helps, but I personally don't like that idea). Once you stop that flexing and over-rotating your legs will become quiet on their own.

And:
It looks as if your shoulders rotate more than your hips, and particularly the left arm doesn't really catch (no EVF), it sort of just moves backwards. So you loose your anchor for pushing the body forward.
The catch and pull phase is very fast while the recovery phase is very slow, sort of unbalanced.

It's not to frustrate you, you just asked for it... ;-)

My 2 cent