Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   question about aqua-sphere goggles (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8023)

Danny 05-11-2015 11:45 AM

question about aqua-sphere goggles

I've been using these goggles for a number of years now, and I currently have 3 pairs. Two of them have developed leaks in the seals on the lenses, but they still both have a good elastic strap, whereas the third still has good seals on the lenses, but the strap is starting to tear. So I would like to move one of the good straps to the goggles that don't leak. Seems like aqua-sphere designed these to make that very hard to do. The ends of the straps have some regions where the elastic becomes very thick, and it won't go through the opening where you thread the strap. I could cut off the ends, but I have the feeling that someone who is smarter than I am knows a way to get the thick strap through these thin slits, so that that isn't necessary.

Can anyone help?

Zenturtle 05-11-2015 03:09 PM

mine have a ratched mechanism that can be bend open more than you would imagine (if they are new :-))

Danny 05-11-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenturtle (Post 53058)
mine have a ratched mechanism that can be bend open more than you would imagine (if they are new :-))

Do you mean I should just try to force it through, or is there some way I should try to use care so as not to break it? I know that there is a lever which you can raise to move the strap and adjust it, but even when I raise this lever, the thick part of the strap doesn't fit through the space that is open. It's only the thin part, which is meant to be adjustable. In other words, it seems as if it were designed to allow you to adjust the strap, but not remove it.

bx 05-11-2015 04:13 PM

Danny, I have an old pair of (leaky) AS goggles, so I had a look. The loose end of the strap can be removed from the retaining clip by gently prising apart the clip ends. And the strap itself can be pulled out completely with a bit of force if you hold down the ratchet release button.

Pity about the tendency to leak around the lenses, as they're such comfy goggles.

Danny 05-12-2015 12:05 AM

Hi bx,

Got it! Or I should say that my wife got it. She's the more mechanically gifted of the two of us. When I try to do something like this, I usually just wind up breaking it. Thanks for your help.

So it's not just me that has problems with the lenses leaking on these goggles? Out of the three pairs I've bought, only one of them is really leak proof. The other two always leaked a little at first, but if I swam long enough with them it seemed like eventually they would stop leaking, maybe because the seals would swell in the water. Did you also notice something like this? Then next time I got in the water the same process would start all over again.

But you're right, they're really comfortable goggles.

junkman 05-12-2015 01:49 AM

So far mine are not leaking. There are marine sealants that may work to stop the leaking. The price may be prohibitive if you don't have other uses for it. Spending $10 + shipping + effort all to possibly repair a $30 piece of equipment doesn't make sense.

Here's one. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-099.htm

Here's some cheap stuff. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dap-00694-...alant/21798167

Danny 05-12-2015 02:19 AM

Of the three pairs I have, the one good pair of lenses is matched now to a good strap in the back, and that should hold me (with luck) for another couple of years! :o)

sclim 05-12-2015 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny (Post 53064)
Hi bx,

Got it! Or I should say that my wife got it. She's the more mechanically gifted of the two of us. When I try to do something like this, I usually just wind up breaking it. Thanks for your help.

So it's not just me that has problems with the lenses leaking on these goggles? Out of the three pairs I've bought, only one of them is really leak proof. The other two always leaked a little at first, but if I swam long enough with them it seemed like eventually they would stop leaking, maybe because the seals would swell in the water. Did you also notice something like this? Then next time I got in the water the same process would start all over again.

But you're right, they're really comfortable goggles.

Guys -- it's not clear to me where your AS goggles are leaking. Is it between the plastic lens and the soft silicone seal? Or between the soft silicone seal and the face?

If the former, I would think Junkman's solution is actually cost effective, especially if you can get the marine sealant with mailing costs total for $15 (?) because of the water based crack finding property of the sealant. If you can repair 2 pairs of otherwise good goggles you've saved yourself $30 X 2.

Danny 05-12-2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sclim (Post 53084)
Guys -- it's not clear to me where your AS goggles are leaking. Is it between the plastic lens and the soft silicone seal? Or between the soft silicone seal and the face?

If the former, I would think Junkman's solution is actually cost effective, especially if you can get the marine sealant with mailing costs total for $15 (?) because of the water based crack finding property of the sealant. If you can repair 2 pairs of otherwise good goggles you've saved yourself $30 X 2.

Could be that you're right on this, if I could only get my act together. Maybe my wife can help me :o)

tony0000 05-14-2015 05:52 AM

Danny,

I have two pairs of AS Kaiman goggles that are barely used that you could have. Let me know if you're interested.

Tony

Danny 05-14-2015 08:06 PM

Hi Tony,

Good hearing from you! Just sent you an email.