Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   FWIW - Keep them toes pointed! (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2339)

eganov 05-18-2011 03:09 PM

FWIW - Keep them toes pointed!

We all know about the importance of keeping the legs relatively straight and pointing the toes during the kick. But with the implementation of a 2-beat kicks there's plenty of time when the leg is not kicking. During the quiet times I found myself relaxing my feet to the point that they were pointed down, acting like a drag chute to my forward progress. Once I concentrated on keeping the feet pointed, even when my legs weren't kicking, I could feel a bit more streamlining and my legs rose to the surface with less effort. Just something to keep in mind.

Fran Lehen 05-18-2011 03:43 PM

Question re feet and ankles

What's the thinking on the following: When extending the leg backward (from the hip) flex the foot and as the leg swings forward, point the toe.

Or is that flex unnecessary?
Fran

Rincewind 05-18-2011 08:23 PM

Just curious how much effort does it take for various people to keep their toes pointed?

My ankles are very unflexible, so in order for me to even approach any kind of foot streamlining I have to contract my calf muscles really hard which is very tiring to maintain for any length of time.

naj 05-18-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rincewind (Post 19584)
Just curious how much effort does it take for various people to keep their toes pointed?

My ankles are very unflexible, so in order for me to even approach any kind of foot streamlining I have to contract my calf muscles really hard which is very tiring to maintain for any length of time.

You shouldn't be straining when pointing your toes. Remember to keep your body tone and streamlined but not tight. Tight is not good. Tone is great.

Rincewind 05-18-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naj (Post 19585)
You shouldn't be straining when pointing your toes. Remember to keep your body tone and streamlined but not tight. Tight is not good. Tone is great.

Well if I dont strain then I get a lot of drag from a parachute effect, just like the 1st poster was saying.

tab 05-18-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rincewind (Post 19584)

One area I do not have to focus on, pointed toes come easily to me. So easy I find it difficult to get a good kick in Breaststroke, so my breaststroke kick is a wimpy narrow frog whip kind of kick. Kind of the opposite problem.

I have not practiced Karate in many years but recall the front kick with the ball of my foot easier as well.

eganov 05-18-2011 10:25 PM

Just sit in your chair and point your foot/toe. It shouldn't take much effort to do that. The point (no pun intended) is to keep your foot from being perpendicular to your shin. Anything other than that 90 degree angle is helpful. Don't worry about some super-athletic 180 degree flex.

Richardsk 05-19-2011 10:28 AM

Sitting on your feet yoga style is a good way to increase ankle flexibility, I think. But take it in easy stages: you don't want to do damage. I'm hoping I will eventually have a decent backstroke kick as a result.

Rincewind 05-19-2011 07:04 PM

If I point my toes while sitting on a chair I can get about 135 degrees. I've been doing the sitting on feet stretch every day before and after exercise. In fact I've been doing it ever since my cross country running days at college. (25 odd years?) But my ankles just dont get any more flexion =(.

I dont believe exceptional ankle flexibility is essential for the beginner level that I am at, but it does make balance drills a lot easier.

I am pretty much forced to wear fins or I dont move down the pool when kicking.

downhillswimmer 05-19-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardsk (Post 19599)
Sitting on your feet yoga style is a good way to increase ankle flexibility, I think. But take it in easy stages: you don't want to do damage. I'm hoping I will eventually have a decent backstroke kick as a result.

My yoga teacher reminds me not to let the outside of the ankle touch the floor, and to make sure the body weight is on the heels, not the knees.