Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need Stroke Advice (Video Included) (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9513)

RamTI 02-23-2018 06:37 AM

Need Stroke Advice (Video Included)
 
I've been practising TI for about 2-3 months and would like to get feedback on my stroke.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6o4vkgstko...b%202.MOV?dl=0

I can see multiple things wrong but I'm not sure what I should focus on fixing. Appreciate any help with drills, etc..

I'm 5'9" and take about 30 seconds per lap (25M) at 22-25 SPL. I can swim 10+ laps with this stroke without getting tired but would really like to make my stroke more efficient and faster

daveblt 02-23-2018 05:27 PM

There are obvious things that need to be corrected which starts with your hands scooping up to the surface . This together with over rotation especially when breathing which is causing balance issues and your legs dropping and splaying out too far . Rotate only enough to clear each shoulder from the water and make sure your hand and elbow is always below your shoulder on entry as you go toward your catch . Your head position looks good though.

Dave

Mushroomfloat 02-25-2018 12:16 AM

Your legs are creating massive drag

Isolate

Pull Buoy between the legs

Keep the tight and within the shadow of the body

When new posture is realised ditch pull buoy and remember

If no pull buoy keep thighs and big toes touching

Suck ribcage up & in (this is critical)

Mushroomfloat 02-25-2018 12:17 AM

P.S Please pop a cheque in the post ;-)

RamTI 02-25-2018 07:30 AM

Thank you guys for the feedback.

@daveblt, I didn't understand what you meant by hands scooping up to the surface. Can you clarify?

@Mushroomfloat, I had actually tried keeping a pull buoy between my thighs but my right leg still went down a lot. I think I got used to this bad kick where I kick down a lot.

Yesterday, I tried to kick down only a little. But I won't know if I'm doing any better till I take another video.

WFEGb 02-25-2018 10:33 AM

Hello RamTI,

your stroke looks as if you're used and confident with, and so relaxed to show some room for further improvement.

Quote:

...I had actually tried keeping a pull buoy between my thighs but my right leg still went down a lot. I think I got used to this bad kick where I kick down a lot.

Yesterday, I tried to kick down only a little. But I won't know if I'm doing any better till I take another video.
From TI's point of view, you should forget using a pull buoy. It's much more useful to find the right balance with streamlined legs without such Tools, which are just masking the problems. Spearing somewhat deeper, TI says fingertips just below belly-depth, wrist a little higher, elbow above wrist and shoulder above elbow will be of great help. (Just now you're spearing upward, so your legs and Body don't have a chance to drift horizontal...)

Don't miss the fundamentals: Relaxed neck with weightless-felt head and 90° looking down, head-spine aligned (work on both SG- and Torpedo-drills in all variations are helpful...) Your spear from underwater looks as if your recovery is too tensed. Remember the elbow should lead the recovery in a half circled movement as far sideways as possible, lower arm and hand should just hang like shown by ragdolls.

Don't focus on your kick for now (in TI a well tuned 2BK comes even after breathing...). However if really necessary, focus in aligned and streamlined-straight-relaxed legs. Feet should not move more apart than the toes will have contact with the heel of the other feet.

Enjoy your way with best regards,
Werner

RamTI 02-25-2018 03:11 PM

@Werner, thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, Got to do more drills!! I'll also work on a more relaxed recovery and reduced kick amplitude.

Mushroomfloat 02-25-2018 08:00 PM

You posture is completely broken throughout the length of the body and yor legs are splaying apart really widely, this is incorrct swimming posture, you have no taughtness or connection.

You not progress until you achive POSTURE LINE & BALANCE

Spent time floating face down in streamline position everytime you go to the pool, even take 3 strokes and go into a pencil float to remind of correct posture

Get level on surface in streamline and start to pull yourself along from there never losing that level taught streamline position.

Practice this:
https://youtu.be/YwOHzq8Qgso

(when they say implode that means what i said earlier suck your ribcage up and in to connect hips to shoulders through the core

RamTI 09-08-2018 07:07 PM

Quick update - I've been practicing a lot in the last 3 months and my speed improved significantly. I went from 2:05-2:10/100m to 1:52/100m (for 500m).

But when I look at my stroke video, it seems like there is still a lot of improvement. I would love to hear your feedback on what I should focus on next.

Here is my new stroke video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/as37pph2v7...-Free.mp4?dl=0

This was my stroke video from Feb/Mar
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6o4vkgstko...b%202.MOV?dl=0

In the last 3 months, I focused on 2 things - head position and high-elbow catch. I think I made significant improvements to the head position but high elbow catch still seems elusive.

Mushroomfloat 09-09-2018 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTI (Post 66492)
Quick update - I've been practicing a lot in the last 3 months and my speed improved significantly. I went from 2:05-2:10/100m to 1:52/100m (for 500m).

But when I look at my stroke video, it seems like there is still a lot of improvement. I would love to hear your feedback on what I should focus on next.

Here is my new stroke video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/as37pph2v7...-Free.mp4?dl=0

This was my stroke video from Feb/Mar
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6o4vkgstko...b%202.MOV?dl=0

In the last 3 months, I focused on 2 things - head position and high-elbow catch. I think I made significant improvements to the head position but high elbow catch still seems elusive.

Its all there mate, but.....OVER ROTATING!!!!

half of that will do

about 45degrees max

also think of both arms as one

so link them underwater & topside

slow it right down like slow motion and feel the connection

daveblt 09-09-2018 04:28 AM

I think the over rotation is still causing the legs to splay out too much and also the entry hands are reaching too high .

Dave

Sarahsree 09-09-2018 11:47 AM

Swimming classes for kids in Singapore
 
Swimming for your kids in Singapore, Available in both types like group classes or Private classes. Bump into our site to more details http://www.swimteamprakash.com/swimming-lessons-kids/ or Call us at +65-8333-5464.

Zenturtle 09-09-2018 01:06 PM

That looks like a very exhausting stroke.
You pull like an animal. plenty of power available!
But you waisting all that pulling power in a slipping paddle, and no connection to the rest of the body.

You are trying to swim too long.
You are putting too much emphasis on the pulling part and forget the center of the stroke, that is the midsection of your body.

swim slower and try to focus on rolling the bodyparts around a stick thats going from top to bottom.
Try to find a way to throw the arms forward and out from within that rotating centermass.
Brace that centermass against rotation, initiate rotation with nearly straight legs, starting in the center of your body.

Once you have an idea about that, start working on a proper anchor with the arms in the water.
Now you are pulling, but you are too weak to hold your arm in shape, so you pull with a badly dropped elbow.
Never pull harder than you are able to hold your arm in shape.
This means taking much more time to position you arm in better paddle shape, notice that it is indeed in a good shape, and only then, only then...start to move your body forward over that planted arm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVmL2EriBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j0ILEUd-6g
Your felt extension should be from hip to elbow, all the way untill you have set the paddle in the proper shape.
Then let the extension contract, and move forward with minimal slippage.



to improve:
dropped elbow, should be like green line
wide splaying legs angle between red lines.
general bodyline sloping down, black line
hips rotate more than shoulders. No channeling of propulsion into forward movement, causes an unneeded stall, waisted rotational energy.
Hollow lower back, should be straighter.

the good things.
Little kneebend, if the pulling isnt overwhelming the body tautness and alignment anymore the spaying of the legs will get less. You have not ingrained bad kneekicking technique, so you dont have to unlearn it.

Very good energy output.
I guarantee, you can swim 1.30min/100m pace instead of 1.50min/100m by only optimizing your technique.
THis will take longer than you might think, but its worth it.

Since you like to swim fast, an example from a boy from which you can learn a lot in these points.
Its not TI with this more rotary timing, but the underwater points still aplly, whatever timing you use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x_vMkqWBWQ
(yes I know, he could hold his head lower while breathing, and has some other flaws, but the basics are very good)

The most fundamental is having a horizontal, streamlined rolling shape moving straight forward in the water.
A super high elbow catch isnt really needed to swim fast (but still better than straight), almost staight arms is already good enough, but the fundamentals need to be good to start with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBFQ...Wkm6ej&index=4

Mushroomfloat 09-09-2018 03:00 PM

i noticed your right arm is crossing over the midline too

if you go wider it'll even out the stroke and stop the over rotating

go for a "Y" and you get the "h"

if you go for a "h" you'll get an "I"

RamTI 09-10-2018 01:24 PM

Hello everyone - Thanks so much for the feedback.

@Zenturtle, That video with high-elbow drills is really fantastic. It hit the nail on the head regarding my problem. I'm always in a huge hurry to pull back without properly setting it up. Even when I swim at a low tempo, I just tend to pull the hand back as fast as possible. I do other things slowly but I don't why I just like to pull the hand back that fast. I guess this is the bad habit that I need to unlearn.

BTW, I also love Brenton Ford's feedback Friday videos.

I ranked all the issues based on my expectation of difficulty (easiest first). I'll be working on them one at a time till each one is fixed.
1) Spear the left hand deeper
2) Reduce cross-over of the right hand
3) Reduce rotation - I'm thinking of practicing this by breathing 2-3 times/25m.
4) High-elbow pull

**) Arching back & splaying legs - I'm not sure where to place them or if these are independent issues. Are the legs splaying since I rotate too much?? I have no idea how to fix the arching back.


I'm guessing a snorkel will help me focus on issues 1-3. Any thoughts?

I imagine some of you went through these issues while learning. Do you agree with my difficulty rankings? I learned that it's too hard to focus on more than one issue at a time while swimming so I want to work on the easy stuff first.

novaswimmer 09-10-2018 04:16 PM

Don't even worry about speed at this point. Concentrate on technique, balance, form.

In your latest video, look at around 7 secs in. Scrub through this portion of the video slowly back and forth, and watch your left arm as it's pulling back. From the spear to the point where your upper arm becomes vertical, the lower arm seems to be flexing to 90º and is just not effective at moving any water (this is termed 'slipping'). The green line is where the arm should be. Perhaps you are using your legs to propel more than arms are able.



Now compare to Terry's underwater pull and arm position at approximately the same phase of the stroke. Notice how is whole arm, as a paddle, is propelling the water backwards (some would say 'anchoring' into the water)?


Zenturtle 09-10-2018 06:35 PM

you really have to ask yourself, why am I pulling so violently and too early?

- Are you longing for the next breath, and do you want to go to that point as soon as possible?
- Are you unbalanced somewhere and is it a panicky, drowning action at some level?
- Do you simply want to swim fast and do you think you have to pull fast to swim fast?

You have to build as much awareness as possible.
Why do you do the things as you do them? Which actions are effective and which actions you can do without?

What are the first steps? focussing on what the arms are doing and optimizing your pulling technique is fun, and seems the best first action, but pulling with a perfect paddle on a uncoordinated noodle brings you nowhere either.

study and try this first on dryland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V5PYspkknE

a bit of kicking and adding rotational kicks firns up your core, something you need to make the pulling action more effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYEERgh_VfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYRecPojBGY

or try to balance with no kick at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqQJtcirqQ

WFEGb 09-11-2018 05:58 PM

Hello RamTI,

your improvement (expecially the cut times) is impressive, congratulation!

You've still got a fine analyzis and several hints from ZT and MF. Allow me to add a more or less TI-special thought:

We only see your underwater stroke, but I guess several of your issues might have their cause in your movements above water. So you might have a tight awareness to your elbow not going behind your scapular plane, your elbow swinging (far) away from your body, your elbow leading the recovery movement. A relaxed and faster recovery (doesn't cost much more engergy) might even help a bit to become your lead-arm a bit more patient...

Also doing some minutes of basic TI-drills like Torpedo, Superman and Skate (3s skateposition (before falling back flat) with feet together and without kicking is Shinji's hint before going on); FPs in relaxed head and looooong aligned body from fingertips to tiptoes. And when going to laps with whole stroke be aware what feelings you can carry from the drills into your continuous strokes...

Go on with your succesful work and enjoy!

Best regards,
Werner

Zenturtle 09-11-2018 06:50 PM

I am really curious to see if a beginner can use these core drillls , and transfer these core actions to swimming actions, simply by adding some extension, catch and recovery to the ingrained core patterns. (Maybe dont do too much of these bend drills)

Maybe you can try them and tell if its usable RamTI?

uchimura
bend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54QfT1KFs4

Core twists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUD9wp59Bw

progress to swim by adding more limb movement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDwA4wh3z80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms391iic1kw

focus on rotation combined with forward extension and the connection from front to back.
The energy for the basic action without propulsion is coming from the center of the body.
Feel how your body is supported in the water (floats) and add that rocking motion.
See if you can move a bit forward only from the leg whipping action.
Probably this is very minimal or non existant. Thats not a big problem. Dont focus too much on it, but let the rotation feel as if its driven from the legs, or the above the knee part to the ribcage part of the body. Not from the arms pushing water down.
If you know how the body reacts on the leg whipping action with a big amplitude, try to keep the same reaction, but with a smaller amplitude. Therefore you need some more core tone and control, but thats a feeling you should get used to.
That feeling is always on when you swim, but gets more manageble when timing and conditioning improves.
Now add a bit of reach to the arm movement, focussing on the point of the elbow as the moving part. let the forarm and hand just hang relaxt, even in the water. You may feel the weight of the arm hanging above water at the outside of the body is helping rotation a bit. This is normal. Use it to achieve a certain rhythm.
Very slowly add some propulsion by adding a bit of backward- forward arm movement with that bend armshape, elbow highest point, but always have the main focus on the inside-out rocking movement.
If the pulling action is disturbing this action too much, back off the pulling action, or try to play with the timing to hook in the main rocking action better.
If you have an arm in the water, feel how the recoil of the body helps your backward pull.
You will notice there is a certain frequency where the rocking action happens almost by itself.
Its nice to stay in this frequency and experiment from there on with more reach, highere elbow etc etc.

Zenturtle 09-13-2018 02:18 AM

You have the same problem as Sam, you are overpulling.
See the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHQyqI7zq0

WFEGb 09-13-2018 05:45 PM

Hello ZT,

Quote:

You have the same problem as Sam, you are overpulling.
See the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHQyqI7zq0
Yes, Suzanne's video and her hints are great! But I think RamTI's issue is also a bit more fundamental in the BS-Basics. The Uchimura drills are really good for a stronger core (tested them myself with result muscleache...) but I think they shouldn't be used as "additional TI-drills", because they're forcing unwanted movements with coupled(right?) diagonal.

Best regards,
Werner

Mushroomfloat 09-13-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFEGb (Post 66523)
Hello ZT,


Yes, Suzanne's video and her hints are great! But I think RamTI's issue is also a bit more fundamental in the BS-Basics. The Uchimura drills are really good for a stronger core (tested them myself with result muscleache...) but I think they shouldn't be used as "additional TI-drills", because they're forcing unwanted movements with coupled(right?) diagonal.

Best regards,
Werner

Yes, that looks like arm coupling (shoulder driven style) coupled together across the upper back
/ traps and working in unison
You cant go back too far with this type of stroke or lengthen out as you lose the connection across the upper back.

Its good for a rapid turover though.

I taught a ladyfriend freestyle at the pool last night and she naturally adopted this type of coupled arm stroke as a beginner

i got her to try taking the "pull" back further but it messed up her rudimentary recovery back to the front.
She did really well though once we did front SG glide and balance drills, she was blown away at how easy it was with a level body position v legs dragging.
She had better balance than me!!

Zenturtle 09-13-2018 10:05 PM

Hmmm, I do agree the execution of the transition to swimming looks a bit upperbodydriven.Legs dangle a bit too much perhaps.
And also the up-down movement of the whipping legs lend itself better to higher strokerates perhaps.

But when i focus on the diagonal twisting drive from opposite leg to other side arm i always get some extra powerboost in my swimming.
Be it hipdriven ore more shoulder driven.
Dont you guys agree on that? And thats the main thing he is training.

Mushroomfloat 09-13-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenturtle (Post 66526)
Hmmm, I do agree the execution of the transition to swimming looks a bit upperbodydriven.Legs dangle a bit too much perhaps.
And also the up-down movement of the whipping legs lend itself better to higher strokerates perhaps.

But when i focus on the diagonal twisting drive from opposite leg to other side arm i always get some extra powerboost in my swimming.
Be it hipdriven ore more shoulder driven.
Dont you guys agree on that? And thats the main thing he is training.

Yes, absolutley its all about seimming from the trunk (core) inside out etc
these days i find myself morphing between hip driven & shoulder driven as i go along trying things out.

sometimes i favour the long lazy hip driven and other times i favour just pulling myself along with a fast shoulder driven turnover.

im torn between the great streamlining of the long FQS and the continious propulsion of shoulder driven / kayak style

Mushroomfloat 09-13-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat (Post 66527)
Yes, absolutley its all about seimming from the trunk (core) inside out etc
these days i find myself morphing between hip driven & shoulder driven as i go along trying things out.

sometimes i favour the long lazy hip driven and other times i favour just pulling myself along with a fast shoulder driven turnover.

im torn between the great streamlining of the long FQS and the continious propulsion of shoulder driven / kayak style

i find im shifting more to traditional high elbow recovery on the long style and a butterfly style recovery on the shorter stroke

Mushroomfloat 09-13-2018 10:17 PM

might be something to do with tye long stroke giving more rotation to allow for a HER

Mushroomfloat 09-13-2018 10:22 PM

or just the fact that to get a HER you need to "finish your stroke"

WFEGb 09-14-2018 12:11 AM

Hello ZT,

nothing against a stretch along your diagonal as using the kick left to find your (short timed) diagonal stretch to your right hand. Terry advocates this in his 2BK-chapter. But especially the first drill forces long leg kick left and long arm right down, that's just not Terry's diagonal stretch.


Hello MF,

seems you're swimming on a level, where you can switch by decision every part of your stroke at any time. Respect! Same question I asked ZT, what does lead you to your decisions, and how do you decide what to lay back and what to carry on?

I am even more critical , if that's the right (best?) way to teach beginners with these details and not confusing them. Are they really able to carry these in there whole stroke for longer time? OK, I do trust Terry and TI's BSP-Pyramide with some indvidual tayloring from knowing Terry and his decade-developments and some modest successes with it in own swimming and coaching. But I've to add, I'm not able to swim myself nor is any of my students (till now) able to swim in paces of the swimmers you like to discuss their stroke(part)s.


Hello Stuart,

no, 1:30 pace or faster for 100m is not what I'm able to swim all day and never as sustainable pace... So you might think, it's better for me to shut up. Nope, too much fun to follow these threads and throw in a thought one and then FWIW, might be sometimes 2ct...

And I do not appreciate the occasional unfriendliness in any way. Happy they're seldom here measured with other Forums.

Best regards,
Werner

CoachStuartMcDougal 09-14-2018 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFEGb (Post 66531)

Hello Stuart,

no, 1:30 pace or faster for 100m is not what I'm able to swim all day and never as sustainable pace... So you might think, it's better for me to shut up. Nope, too much fun to follow these threads and throw in a thought one and then FWIW, might be sometimes 2ct...

And I do not appreciate the occasional unfriendliness in any way. Happy they're seldom here measured with other Forums.

Best regards,
Werner

Did I offend you in some way Werner? If I have, I apologize. But I don't recall discussing swimming/sustaining a 1:30 pace with you; then again I'm getting old, my short term mem often fleeting.

Stuart
mindbodyandswim.com

Mushroomfloat 09-14-2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFEGb (Post 66531)
Hello ZT,

nothing against a stretch along your diagonal as using the kick left to find your (short timed) diagonal stretch to your right hand. Terry advocates this in his 2BK-chapter. But especially the first drill forces long leg kick left and long arm right down, that's just not Terry's diagonal stretch.


Hello MF,

seems you're swimming on a level, where you can switch by decision every part of your stroke at any time. Respect! Same question I asked ZT, what does lead you to your decisions, and how do you decide what to lay back and what to carry on?

I am even more critical , if that's the right (best?) way to teach beginners with these details and not confusing them. Are they really able to carry these in there whole stroke for longer time? OK, I do trust Terry and TI's BSP-Pyramide with some indvidual tayloring from knowing Terry and his decade-developments and some modest successes with it in own swimming and coaching. But I've to add, I'm not able to swim myself nor is any of my students (till now) able to swim in paces of the swimmers you like to discuss their stroke(part)s.



Best regards,
Werner

Hi yes, she had watched "faster freestyle" by dave marsh and had her head filled with images of rocketing along like an elite swimmer lol

so i started her off with kicking on side balance drills which she didnt take to, but she is a physiotherapist and understood scapular plane / impingement etc so we went to SG Glide and i said "just start pulling yourself along" and she got it pretty much straight away (much to my chargrin)
then the.next hurdle was breathing
i didn't want to baffle her with stroke timing and evf etc yet
but she'll make a good freestyler
very concious about core etc

Mushroomfloat 09-14-2018 12:44 AM

so in 90 mins she ended up with a short shoulder driven stroke with excellent body position which i was very impressed with.

we touched on catch up timing but a grasp of different arm recovery a short stroke was probably best to get the general idea of body position & balance

Mushroomfloat 09-14-2018 12:49 AM

Faster freestyle v

https://youtu.be/kJKhOLpv0Oo

Mushroomfloat 09-14-2018 12:54 AM

P.S i dont think these swimmers are "elite" they just study & practice more that we do

IMPO the biggest problem with the sport of swimming is people witholding information

i feveryone would share their knowledge freely then maybe things would be better.

WFEGb 09-14-2018 07:02 AM

Hello Stuart,

Quote:

Did I offend you in some way Werner? If I have, I apologize. But I don't recall discussing swimming/sustaining a 1:30 pace with you; then again I'm getting old, my short term mem often fleeting.
No, no Stuart! No apologize necessary in any way! Your post was addressed to ZT, MF (and Tom65 or the one who posted too rough [IMHO] with his name)... But I'd liked to clear up, that I don't think 1:30 (or any other pace) should be the justification to post something... So seems I'd unwarranted generalized your pace-post... and I've to apologize!

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Stuart, sorry, just realized I crossed the threads :-(

WFEGb 09-14-2018 07:38 AM

Hello MF,

Quote:

i feveryone would share their knowledge freely then maybe things would be better.
But I really don't think that concerns in anyway to this forum and TI. Several TI-coaches and TI-Mastercoaches and just in swimming interested readers/posters are spending their time and effort to do their very best for interest, enjoyment and free. Don't know when the forum started, it is existing since I started with swimming. And it survived and will do (hopefuly) a lot of critcism of TI. And I never heared anyone thinking about to shut it down... as it was the fate of other swim-forums... But after all, it is and should be an open TI-forum...

Best regards,
Werner

PS: I do remember only one single somewhat smiling post from Terry about teaching the 2BK, where he wouldn't offer all the secrets of TI-coaching... and then he put it as one of his 2.0-Mastery chapters. (BTW my translation of into German should be available soon... After all it's a TI-Forum ;-) )

Zenturtle 09-14-2018 09:00 AM

I do feel offended by Stuart.
When I discribe my swim perceptions he just laughs and says.. haha so many words..dont overcomplicate things. etc etc.

@Mushroom

I have exactly the same. A bit undesive between hip driven and shoulder driven.
When focussing on long strokes the strokes get longer and longer untill there starts to emerge too much gap in propulsion.
Than I switch back to some armthrowing more windmilling stroke and it feel so much smoother/lighter and a fun stroke, but often feels faster than it actually is.
When you hit the best of both worlds (is that possible?) its the best i find at the moment.
Feels likel most continuous flying through the water.

We seem to have more or less the same swim perceptions. Has it someting to do with our basic bodytypes? Maybe fun to compare.
Mine
length 180 cm
weight 88kg
ape factor plus 7-9 cm, relatively short legs.
balance: can float horizontal, even when lifting head up, eyes looking forward just at waterline.
Buoyancy. in pencil float test, lungs max filled. water at mouth level.
Shoulder flex. laying face down chin on floor, arms can be lifted until straight horizontal.(10-15 cm from floor)

CoachStuartMcDougal 09-15-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFEGb (Post 66546)

Don't know when the forum started, it is existing since I started with swimming. And it survived and will do (hopefuly) a lot of critcism of TI. And I never heared anyone thinking about to shut it down... as it was the fate of other swim-forums... But after all, it is and should be an open TI-forum...

Hi Werner,

Actually there has been discussion moving TI Forum to a new, up to date platform such as facebook or twitter; we are experimenting with facebook page at the moment. These type of platforms, the posters and commenters are notified when other posts or comments occur so messages don’t get lost in the noise and go unanswered. Anonymous/sales users are more easily gleaned out. Also - no added on-prem hardware/software required and no cost to host these pages. Forums are really the pre-social network before facebook, twitter, etc.

Stu
MindBodyAndSWIM.com

novaswimmer 09-15-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal (Post 66557)
Hi Werner,

Actually there has been discussion moving TI Forum to a new, up to date platform such as facebook or twitter; we are experimenting with facebook page at the moment. These type of platforms, the posters and commenters are notified when other posts or comments occur so messages don’t get lost in the noise and go unanswered. Anonymous/sales users are more easily gleaned out. Also - no added on-prem hardware/software required and no cost to host these pages. Forums are really the pre-social network before facebook, twitter, etc.

Stu
MindBodyAndSWIM.com

Stuart, Facebook also makes it much easier to upload a photo too, in case you want to diagram out a stroke improvement. Probably videos too -- they can run right in the application, rather than opening up You Tube. But I know that many won't even consider Facebook because of privacy issues. If you are concerned about your privacy, you can always create a totally fake name and identity, just for Facebook.

WFEGb 09-15-2018 02:30 PM

Hello Stuart,

Quote:

Actually there has been discussion moving TI Forum to a new, up to date platform such as facebook or twitter; we are experimenting with facebook page at the moment. These type of platforms, the posters and commenters are notified when other posts or comments occur so messages don’t get lost in the noise and go unanswered. Anonymous/sales users are more easily gleaned out. Also - no added on-prem hardware/software required and no cost to host these pages. Forums are really the pre-social network before facebook, twitter, etc.
Sigh!!!... Modern times pass me by... I'm really a dino and like the forums and lists... Till now I'm really hesitating to build any FB- or Twitter-account... even not for the existing TI-Coach-Group... Presumably prejudice against these companies. Some of my former students (not swimming) head real issues with FB and I simply won't accept, that influential politics is done via Twitter, becomes more usual in Germany too :-(

Though, for me transforming a forum to FB is not the same as shutting it down because of unpleasent comments... (BTW to Cottmiller's enjoyment: There's something like a resurrected not so bad forum, but not not tied to a Company: FS-Swimming-Technique)

Well, we're far off the thread's theme... again...

Best regards,
Werner

CoachStuartMcDougal 09-15-2018 06:21 PM

Hi Werner, Lol - time to get a facebook account. Not difficult to manage or secure despite much of the bad press over the last couple of years. Also - it's convenient to use messenger (part of FB). I can quickly answer questions from squad, swimmers and students on any device avoiding the email barrage. Also - you don't have to have a facebook account to view the facebook page either.

Novaswimmer, Right! Far more tools to use for photos, videos, documents, sharing, messaging - and can reach a much larger audience and connecting other like swimmers from other groups (i.e. my masters team), etc. Fake accounts will always be there, but it's easy to vet the account before adding them to the TI group. And if an added account turns out to be a fake/problem, boot from the group. Page is public for viewing, but must be a member to post and comment. Anyway - we're experimenting and will let you know what and when/if it becomes an official TI discussion platform.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.