Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to practise a good kick? (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142)

Mooney 01-14-2009 02:31 PM

Regarding kicking - I kick once per stroke (not a 2-beat, 3 beat, whatever). My kick is sort of a "side-stroke" kick. When timed with the arm stroke, I get a great "launch". It feels like I'm pushing off the pool wall and gliding for a long time. I have achieved 15 strokes per pool length. The problem is - it takes a lot of energy. I don't think I can do that for a mile swim.

The light "flutter" kick feels effortless, but does not propel me much at all. It just balances my body while I stroke, so the arms are doing all the real work. But I can sustain that kick forever.

Should I try to develop this "side-stroke" kick and build endurance there, or is the flutter kick the way to go?

shuumai 01-14-2009 03:33 PM

One kick per stroke is a 2-beat kick since there are two strokes in one left/right arm cycle.

Jamwhite 01-15-2009 11:22 AM

Early on, you ask for exercises to learn the two beat kick. The exercise Terry suggests is Zipperswitch. After the pause is zipperskate, kick with the opposite leg as you spear forward with the recovery arm.

When I first started learning the 2 beat kick, my master's coach complained that my hips were sinking and handed me a pull buoy. Doing a length with that, I got a feel for what my hips should feel like. I practiced doing my 2 beat kick one length with the buoy and one length without trying to keep the same feeling and discovered how to keep my body in line so that my hips stayed in the same spot.

AWP 01-15-2009 02:20 PM

The timing and feeling can also be 'found' in Spear switch practice, then enhanced in Zen switches.

The best use for a pull buoy I've heard Jam.

Kiebler 02-02-2009 04:11 AM

2 - beat kick

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuumai (Post 1254)
One kick per stroke is a 2-beat kick since there are two strokes in one left/right arm cycle.

I too am having problems learning the kick, this thread is answering a lot of my questions I have in my mind. I can't wait to put to practice what I have learned here during my next swim practice. Thanks everyone!

Kiebler 02-03-2009 10:21 PM

2-beat kicks

Last night I was practicing my strokes, breathing using fins on my feet to let me concentrate on the top half of my body. After reading this thread, I took my fins off and failed miserably. Came back to the end of the pool to think about what I was doing wrong, put my fins back on and went two lengths with no obvious problems. Took my fins off again, decided to not think about my legs but concentrate on my top half, next thing I was completing a length and my legs followed complete with 2 beat kicking! I was pretty amazed at this "discovery", incredible feeling.

Just a bit of back ground. I have never had formal training, I have been learning TI after ordering the DVD on Freestyle just before Christmas, as well I started taking swim lessons at my local pool in January and have 5 more to complete, however their teaching methods are the Red cross form. Similar but there are notable differences, between the two methods I have been steadily progressing.

I was introduced to TI through our family doctor who is an avid TI swimmer, I now have a few of the lifeguard staff interested in the program as well.

My ultimate goal is to be able to take part in a Sprint Triathlon May 10, I have run several races up to 1/2 Marathon distance. Biking and swimming is new to me, so it's a bit of an ambitious plan but I feel it's doable, time will tell.

Kiebler

afara2000 02-08-2009 10:12 PM

Also, it is important to consider head position with regards to efficient kicking. I have learned that as I swim slow and smooth, I tend to keep my head down like stream line postion to keep my hip and legs up from sinking. But when I swim at a higher tempo, I raise my head to 45 degree to maintain efficient kick i.e., avoiding kicking high on surface. I think this is reason why most sprinters look almost to their front swimming at extemely high tempo!

asbarden 02-09-2009 03:08 AM

Terry's latest post on the OW forum, entitled "Chapter 6" is an excellent discussion of kick timing and technique. It has helped me a lot in the last week. You may consider taking a look at it.

swimqueen 09-29-2012 08:09 PM

Slowest kicker in my lane

I can swim faster and longer than the other three swimmers in my lane - I'm with a new club this year - but they all blow me out of the water on kick sets. I have been using the newer Zoomers for years and will soon need to replace them . Is there a better swim fin for me ? Kicking without fins - almost going backwards.

CharlesCouturier 09-29-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimqueen (Post 31413)
I can swim faster and longer than the other three swimmers in my lane - I'm with a new club this year - but they all blow me out of the water on kick sets. I have been using the newer Zoomers for years and will soon need to replace them . Is there a better swim fin for me ? Kicking without fins - almost going backwards.

Well not that I affectionate fins (truth being that I hate them, as they torture my ankles), but recently I saw a paper which was about how to choose fins. To my big surprise, Zoomers were not recommended as they are too short for providing enough propulsion for most of you having difficulty to kick without fins.

It's believe that a model that is a bit longer be preferable.

Can't speak on my own behalf here, as last time I wear fins I got injured once again.

Hope this helps.