Easy Freestyle: 21st Century Techniques for Beginners to Advanced Swimmers - a ground-breaking swim improvement DVD. Learn how to (1) minimize energy waste before focusing on increasing fitness or power; and (2) minimize drag in every aspect of the stroke – including pull, kick and breathing. Learn More$6.99
The 1.0 Effortless Endurance Course will:
- Help you swim smarter, easier . . . faster—and enjoy it more!
- Teach you to swim a mile--and finish energized, not exhausted.
- Help you maximize the value of Certified TI coaching.
Order Effortless Endurance if you:
- Are new to swimming or to Total Immersion;
- Struggle to swim even a short distance or tire easily;
- Feel stagnant or wish to enjoy swimming again;
- Have learned TI, but want an update/upgrade/refresher.
The Effortless Endurance Course is organized into five sequential lessons:
Lesson 1 Comfort and Body Control teaches you to feel weightless in the water and to gain control over your body, bringing three benefits: (1) Immediate significant energy savings; (2) The physical foundation for continuous long-term improvement; (3) The comfort, calm, and self-awareness that make every swim a pleasure.
Lesson 2 Stabilize your Core creates a super-stable core body by teaching a compact, relaxed recovery. During recovery your arm weighs 10x its weight in water—creating enormous potential to cause instability in your core. A stable core enables you to (1) Learn all skills with much more ease; (2) Immediately (and automatically) pull and kick more effectively; (3) Swim injury-free forever.
Lesson 3 Shape your Vessel significantly reduces the effort and energy cost of any distance or speed by teaching you a fishlike (long, sleek, stable) body position and stroking habits that minimize wave-making and turbulence.
Lesson 4 Breathe Easy teaches you to get all the air you need with consummate ease and comfort--and to fit your breath seamlessly into your stroke--via three key mini-skills: (1) Keep head and spine aligned. (2) Breathe with body roll. (3) Stay ‘tall’ as you breathe.
Lesson 5 Whole Stroke Study shows how all the pieces—learned in the four previous lessons--work together as a holistic system. In a holistic system all parts are intricately interrelated. This study guide, in combination with the video studies, will deepen your understanding of those relationships and empower you to make confident and knowledgeable choices about your own stroke.
The Effortless Endurance Course includes four modules:
1. Ultra-Efficient Freestyle: The Book 130 pages of the clearest, most comprehensive, best illustrated explanation of how swimming works-for any technique not only freestyle. Deconstructs every aspect of freestyle technique. Provides in-depth guidance on head and body position, the armstroke, the kick, and breathing. 50+ photos show important details.
2. The Effortless Endurance Video Series Fifteen individual videos--comprising 45 minutes of instruction--show a simple, foolproof, step-by-step method for developing an ultra-efficient freestyle. Every key movement and moment in each step and whole stroke shown above and below, in slow motion and stop action, with graphic highlights.
3. The Effortless Endurance Workbook. This companion volume to the videos gives detailed direction on how to learn effectively, bypass common errors, and make the most progress in the least time. Learn how to learn, as well as how to swim.
4. The Effortless Endurance Image Gallery. We collected the most revealing images from the Workbook in a series of galleries for each drill and skill, organized for easy review. Put them in a Ziploc bag and bring to the pool for an easy-to-follow visual guide.$49.95
Have you transformed your freestyle, and gained enormous satisfaction, with the help of Total Immersion learning methods? If so, you can now replicate that experience in the other strokes and develop yourself into a complete and well-rounded swimmer, with our latest Self-Coaching Courses for Butterfly, Backstroke, and Breaststroke.
My Late-in-Life Breakthrough
I’ve been a distance swimmer for over 50 years, but my proudest accomplishment in a lifetime of competitive swimming came in 2011, at age 60, when I won medals in all strokes at the U.S. Masters National Championship. This would have been inconceivable to me 40 years earlier, in college, when I swam exclusively freestyle and recorded my fastest times.
My late-in-life breakthrough began in my early 50s when I got serious about mastering the ‘different’ strokes. I discovered that I thoroughly enjoyed the new challenges, goal-setting opportunities, and variety they offered. It never occurred to me that I might win national championship medals in them. Ever since they’ve been a mainstay in my practice. I believe it’s no coincidence that I enjoyed my greatest success in distance freestyle and open water competition since becoming a more well-rounded swimmer.
But you don’t have to be a competitive swimmer, as I am, to gain significant benefits and satisfaction from swimming all strokes.
Four Reasons to Swim Four Strokes
- The enormous satisfaction of lifelong learning—mastering new and exacting skills
- A multidimensional and varied skills program offers more potential for growth and adaptation. Swimming is unique among movement sports in offering four distinct styles.
- High-quality fitness programs use more muscle groups. Swimming a medley of strokes—aquatic cross-training—helps minimize overuse injuries.
- Stroke variety refreshes me, both physically and mentally. I can set many more personal improvement goals and personal achievements occur with greater frequency.
How We Developed These Courses
Total Immersion has taught proprietary techniques for ‘different’ strokes for 20 years. In fact, TI has been the only producer of technique videos for adults to teach all strokes. We released our first 4-stroke videos in the late 1990s and two updated generations of different-strokes videos since. I’m excited about several major innovations in this latest generation from our previous all-stroke videos.
- I’ve invested far more of myself in this generation—personally testing and refining all techniques and teaching methods for the past 15 years, spending hundreds of hours practicing them, and experiencing thrilling personal breakthroughs.
- This is our first different-strokes release to take advantage of download technology in the form of a Self-Coaching Course, with fully-integrated short videos and workbooks. We began shooting video for these courses five years ago, but delayed releasing them until now (and shot updated video) in order to take advantage of this highly effective self-coaching format.
- This is our first release to use our radically simplified approach to learning with just four learning steps for each drill and a revolutionary way of employing stroke drills.
Each Downloadable Self-Coaching Course includes:
1. Four videos (totaling 24 minutes) for each stroke, illustrating the four learning steps and featuring:
a. Surface and underwater views from every perspective;
b. Slow-motion and stop-action to highlight critical moments; and
c. Dozens of succinct on-screen coaching tips.
2. A 70-page densely-illustrated e-workbook for each stroke, providing deep guidance on:
a. The efficiency foundations for the stroke you’re studying;
b. How to succeed at each of the four learning steps for that stroke; and
c. Whole-stroke training tips
Beautiful photo illustrations show every key moment and position for each learning step and the whole stroke.
The complete package—Self Coaching Courses for Butterfly, Backstroke, and Breaststroke—includes
- 12 videos totaling 70+ minutes of video
- 4 Workbooks—one for each stroke, plus the Total Immersion Guide to Becoming a Complete Swimmer.
The 2.0 Freestyle Mastery Course will:
- Help you develop Expert level skills.
- Provide you a lifetime's worth of improvement opportunities.
- Teach the habits of Mastery.
- Take your passion for swimming higher and deeper.
2.0 Freestyle Mastery Self-Coaching Course includes:
Do you love learning, practicing, and swimming the TI Way? Are you excited about attaining personal mastery in the most efficient and exacting skills available in freestyle? Have you mastered the TI Foundations in prior videos or the Effortless Endurance (formerly Ultra Efficient Freestyle) Self-Coaching Course? If yes, the Freestyle Mastery Course is for you.
The Mastery Level techniques taught in this course include:
Lesson 1: Expert Catch-and-Press Create maximum propulsion with minimum effort. Apply effective and precise pressure to the water: Just the right amount of pressure. At exactly the right time. In the right direction.
Lesson 1 includes a 15-minute video illustrating seven learning steps and skill-building exercises; and a 23-page workbook with 26 high quality photo illustrations. The most comprehensive, detailed, and helpful guide ever produced on the freestyle armstroke and how to perform it with maximum effectiveness.
Lesson 2: Expert 2-Beat Kick
If you prefer distance to sprints; want to swim a faster mile—or marathon; swim in triathlon or open water, for fitness or enjoyment, the 2-Beat Kick is for you.
- Maximize propulsion while minimizing drag and effort.
- Rely on core power, sparing fatigue-prone leg muscles;
- Use leverage to multiply the effect of each light ‘toe flick.’
Lesson 2 includes a 17:35 video illustrating 10 learning steps, mini-skills, and skill-building exercises; and a 21-page workbook (with 13 high quality photo illustrations) and priceless tips on every page. The most advanced, refined, and practical guide ever produced to the ultra-efficient 2-Beat.
Lesson 3: Expert Breathing Breathe with consummate ease and in seamless coordination with the rest of your stroke.
Improve your breathing technique in two ways:
- Save energy with every breath by achieving markedly greater relaxation while breathing.
- Propel more effectively with every breath by fully synchronizing your breath with core body rhythms.
Lesson 3 includes a 16-minute video illustrating seven learning steps, mini-skills, and skill- building exercises; and an 18-page workbook (with 18 high quality photo illustrations) and practical guidance on every page. The most advanced, complete, and information-packed guide ever produced to breathing with maximum ease, comfort, and efficiency.
Lesson 4: Expert Stroke Length and Tempo
Stroke Length is foundation for achieving your full potential. Find the stroke length that’s best for your height and skill set. Completely personalize your range of efficient stroke counts.
Then use a Tempo Trainer to:
- Accelerate and integrate what you learned in Lessons 1 to 3.
- Achieve Pace Mastery by experimenting with different combinations of SPL (stroke count) and Tempo.
Lesson 4 includes a 7:20 video on which Terry Laughlin shows how to expertly adjust Stroke Length and Tempo to swim precise pace with maximum ease; and a 17-page workbook with detailed guidance on attaining Pace Mastery and how to use a Tempo Trainer to achieve unprecedented awareness of your own stroke, improved efficiency and fluency, and an intuitive feel for swimming faster . . . easier.Learn More
When I was in my early 50's after 40 years of trying unsuccessfully to figure out how to swim more than 50 yards of butterfly without exhaustion - I gave myself a lifetime pass from ever swimming it again. Yet in 2005, at age 54, I noticed something on a Michael Phelps DVD that cracked the code of effortless Fly for me. Within weeks I'd swum my first 200 butterfly, and within months won the 200 Fly at a Masters meet. The medal mattered far less than the exquisite sense of pleasure I got from swimming effortless butterfly. Our new Butterfly Made Easy Self-Coaching Course will introduce you to four techniques that make it possible to swim butterfly with an unprecedented ease and enjoyment: 1. Focus more on a long, streamlined bodyline than on pulling and kicking. 2. Play buoyancy and gravity against each other. 3. Use just one kick per stroke cycle - either a dolphin or a frog kick. 4. Breathe every stroke cycle with a sneaky breath. This Course Includes: 1. Four videos (totaling 23 minutes), illustrating four foolproof learning steps and featuring: a. Surface and underwater views from every perspective; b. Slow-motion and stop-action to highlight critical moments; and c. Dozens of succinct on-screen coaching tips. 2. A 67-page densely-illustrated e-workbook, providing deep guidance on: a. The efficiency foundations for the stroke you're studying; b. How to succeed at each of the four learning steps for that stroke; and c. Whole-stroke training tips Beautiful photo illustrations show every key moment and position for each learning step and the whole stroke. Learn More
Breaststroke is the world's oldest and most popular stroke. There is evidence of a breaststroke-like style being swum over 10,000 years ago and it was the first stroke taught formally, in books published between 1538 and 1794. However, the highly inefficient and very slow style taught nearly 500 years ago - head held high with large, slow arm circles - still prevails among many lap swimmers today. Closely related styles that retain many of the inefficient characteristics of 'ancient' breaststroke are nearly universal today. Our new Breaststroke Made Easy Self Coaching Course teaches a radically different style that incorporates key techniques used by elites which allow them to swim stunningly fast times - under 1:00 for 100 meters. Yet these techniques do not require youth, great fitness, or special talents. In fact, they can easily be learned by swimmers of any age or level of athleticism - including those learning breaststroke for the first time. Four innovative high-efficiency skills 1. Minimize drag: Streamline underwater for most of each stroke cycle; spend less time at the surface. 2. Conserve energy: Return to the surface by 'catching a wave' of buoyancy and momentum. 3. Avoid waste: Pull and kick with smaller strokes that greatly reduce drag while producing highly effective propulsion. 4. Maximize momentum: Swim barely above and below the surface. Breathe with a stable and aligned head. This Course Includes: 1. Four videos (totaling 23 minutes), illustrating four foolproof learning steps and featuring: a. Surface and underwater views from every perspective; b. Slow-motion and stop-action to highlight critical moments; and c. Dozens of succinct on-screen coaching tips. 2. A 71-page densely-illustrated e-workbook, providing deep guidance on: a. The efficiency foundations for the stroke you're studying; b. How to succeed at each of the four learning steps for that stroke; and c. Whole-stroke training tips Beautiful photo illustrations show every key moment and position for each learning step and the whole stroke. Learn More
Backstroke is the stroke with the most striking similarities to freestyle (one is sometimes called front crawl, the other back crawl). It's also the most restorative and relaxing to swim . . . if you swim it the highly efficient way taught by Total Immersion. But most people swim it more like a semi-sinking windup toy. You'll get amazing results if you follow the TI Efficiency Pyramid of Balance > â€™Streamline' > Propel, as we do in the four learning steps in our Backstroke Made Easy Self Coaching Course. 1. Balance and mold your core body into a low-drag torpedo shape. 2. Move your head-spine line through the water straight as if being towed by a line atop your head. Rotate your core-body around it. 3. Form long, 'slippery' lines from fingertips to toes on right side and left side. Switch from right-side to left-side line without disturbing the water. 4. Connect your strokes to the action of your core body. These skills are so similar to the efficiency foundations of freestyle that you can improve your freestyle by working on them in backstroke . . . and vice versa. A smooth, relaxed backstroke can also help you build your capacity for effortless distance. Swim freestyle for as long as you stay efficient. Then take a rest break with a length of relaxing backstroke before resuming freestyle. This Course Includes: 1. Four videos (totaling 23 minutes), illustrating four foolproof learning steps and featuring: a. Surface and underwater views from every perspective; b. Slow-motion and stop-action to highlight critical moments; and c. Dozens of succinct on-screen coaching tips. 2. A 70-page densely-illustrated e-workbook, providing deep guidance on: a. The efficiency foundations for the stroke you're studying; b. How to succeed at each of the four learning steps for that stroke; and c. Whole-stroke training tips Beautiful photo illustrations show every key moment and position for each learning step and the whole stroke. Learn More
Nothing is more essential to a swimmer than air. Yet few swimmers truly understand how to breathe efficiently. Not just to get air, but to integrate breathing seamlessly with the stroke. Breathing is sometimes viewed as a liability or inconvenience, but when you do it right, breathing can actually make your stroke better. This video shows you how. Learn More
Stop Swimming in Circles Escape the pool for warm, azure, tropic seas or a placid mountain lake. Expand your horizons and enjoy nature. Swim without walls, lines or boundaries. In short, swim any distance, anywhere with Swim Outside the Box as your guide. Learn More
Q. What's the fastest way to improve your swimming speed? A. Better turns and pushoffs. You push off to start every length - and turn at the end of most. If you improve both, then every length you swim will improve. These skills are the way. Learn More