Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2015

fischelfe
Default SwimTrek or SeaTrekking?

Hello swimmers!

The internet is a wonderful thing, and browsing around... fround open water swimming related voyages!

SwimTrek and

Aetem - SeaTrekking

Has anyone of the TI persuasion ever done either? Any feedback, experiences?
Old 08-09-2015

fischelfe

I am very tempted by swimtrek...

But they do stroke... teaching? or schooling or #insert politically correct term here#, does that work with swimming TI? I don't expect them to have a TI trainer, do they?

"The afternoon is given over to stroke improvement, where the guides video and analyse your stroke above and below the water, which will be reviewed later in the evening over drinks. "

or on another trip

"Following this, we hold a coaching session with a focus on open-water technique.
[...]
The early evening is given over to a session on video analysis where we play back your stroke from the earlier morning session."

Any ideas, advice, general comments?
Old 08-09-2015

Rhoda

I don't know anything about Sea Trekking, but I've done two Swim Trek tours (Croatia and Gozo), in 2007 and 2009, and thoroughly enjoyed both. The guides were wonderful, giving us tips, making us fantastic lunches, and making sure everyone got through the swims safely.
The Tuesday afternoon of both tours was given over to stroke filming in a quiet area, with stroke analysis in the evening. I didn't see much difference between their coaching and that of the T.I. coach that I was learning from at the time. In fact, one of the guides on the first tour started off the analysis by asking us if any of us had ever heard of Total Immersion!
My only advice regarding Swim Trek is to pay the extra for a single room if you aren't going with anyone. European hotel rooms are tiny. Also, add a day or two extra to either the beginning or end of your trip for sight seeing, as the tours are usually in very interesting parts of the world. Oh, and do some hiking as part of your training beforehand. The hikes can be strenuous.
Old 08-10-2015

fischelfe

Oh thank you for your reply!

That sounds great! I was kind of worried about getting told to do an S-stroke and narrow tracks or the like, hearing that they are aware of TI is such a relief!
Old 08-11-2015

POK

Hi,

I did a Swim Trek week in July and also thoroughly enjoyed it. Couldn't recommend it enough.
Regarding stroke analysis, you are at the mercy of the guide in my opinion. It's always good to get another perspective would be a polite way to put it. I suppose it depends what you consider proper freestyle swimming to be. But other than that, an excellent week. I'd go again tomorrow.

Paraic
Old 08-12-2015

fischelfe

Oh, shame, your coach was not fond of the TI way?
Old 08-13-2015

Rhoda

There isn't really a radical difference between T.I. swimming and normal distance/open water swimming. I don't think anyone still teaches the old S-stroke thing anywhere.
The main difference is in the teaching method, the way the stroke is broken down into individual parts. In any case, it's useful to see yourself swim in a video, because you can spot things you didn't even realize you were doing.
Old 08-13-2015

aquascum

Have done a swimtrek as well and loved it! And I didn't think the rooms were extra small, they were the same size my 'vacation' rooms were after?

With the stroke analysis, what happened to me was that after the stroke/videoing session the guide told me 'your arms are too wide!' and I thought 'duh, doing TI, that's on purpose!'

... but when viewing the underwater video I got that he was talking about arms too wide underwater, and he was right. Still doing skatch drills regularly, hope I've got that under control now.
Old 02-22-2016

Georgina
Default Difference between Swim Trek and Total Immersion Open Water Camps

I am a TI Master Coach and have been involved in leading several TI Open Water Camps and have been on a Swim Trek holiday in Croatia.

The experiences are totally different. Swim Trek is fantastic, great venues, well organised, loads of swimming, sightseeing and some technique points. There was a video analysis on one day and a feedback session.

A Total Immersion Camp has loads of swimming which evolves around developing the swimmer. So every swim no matter distance or amount of swimming experience the swimmer has is structured and a highly focussed learning experience. Videos are taken daily with constant feedback.

Another way of putting it would be that Swim Trek is staffed by tour guides who can swim and are capable of teaching. Total Immersion Camps are staffed by Master Coaches whose main skill set is teaching and coaching swimmers.
georgie@totalimmersionsa.co.za
www.totalimmersionsa.co.za
Old 06-28-2017

CoachKevin

Simon Murie, who owns Swim Trek, took a multi-week TI freestyle workshop I ran at Crystal Palace, London, back around 2003ish. Really nice guy & while I can't remember the details he seemed like a very open-minded swimmer. He sure had a killer idea!
Dubai, UAE