Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Default Getting beyond a "fear" of mine

Again, I'm not sure if there is a specific place in the forums where this post actually fits so I put it here since it does not pertain to a definite topic/stroke. As I mentioned in a previous post, I found a indoor pool for the Fall/Winter seasons, as much as it will be dominated by swim teams much of the time. (As an aside, I thought I would be taking a significant amount of time off from swimming due to healing from dental surgery, but it appears that I will be able to get in the pool at the beginning of November as long as the periodontist says I have healed well enough.) If I can squeeze some time in the midst of the swim team practices and meets, I will make an effort. But I have realized I have a fear which seems so silly, yet wonder if anyone has insight as how to get over it.

In the time I swam in college, before hanging up my goggles once, and now returning to swimming, I have always worn standard swim trunks because that has been what I've been comfortable with when at the pool/around others. I do not have any real gut even though I am not "washboard" fit. I guess I would consider myself skinny with some love handles - if that makes sense. I actually considered a workshop, but cannot make it work out this time around; and the description of the workshop recommended participants wear a suit which will not create drag. Even though I will not be attending the workshop, I thought about getting a suit which does not create drag anyways, since there are other folks at the pool who do not wear trunks.

For some reason, I have this "fear" of wearing a speedo style swimsuit, even the square-fit style. So I considered the jammer style, and still have the fear. I will explain a little... I went online and ordered one of each style just to see if the fear was something in my head, or if there is a true deeper fear. After trying on each suit (the retailer was kind enough to allow me to return them if need be, yet I still haven't) I was very uncomfortable how I looked in them, therefore definitely have a fear of even wearing them at the pool. As much as my head tells me to stick with the standard trunks, I need to overcome this fear at some point, especially if I participate in a workshop. Is there some way to overcome this, and if so, how do I do it?
Old 10-06-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Michael,

Snap out of it - no one cares, really. There are all sizes and shapes at the pool, in speedos, squares and jammers. Get the jammers and jump in. The only problem, mostly with the guys, is over-wearing a suit, shelf-life of the suit long past due. I have actually had to go up to a few guys and say, "dude - time to get a new suit, you are scaring children and their parents."

In any case, get the jammers and get a new pair every month or two depending on how often you swim. I find the Arena suits the most comfortable and longest lasting. Make sure to give your jams a quick soap wash and rinse to get the chlorine out and spin in the dryer after each swim.

Stuart
Old 10-06-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Stuart,

Thanks for the very frank advice. I'll give the Jammers a try. And as I was reading your response, it sort of hit me that all we swimmers (newbie or advanced) are really doing while in the pool is looking at that black lane stripe on the bottom of the pool 95% of the time anyways.