Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2015

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post

Oh, during the swim I also I tried to tidy up my right breathing, which tends to drift rather high and up to about 30-45 degrees from the horizon, unlike my very cool left side which tends to be perfectly placed, but which I still get anxious doing. I did a nicely placed right sided breath exactly at the waterline with my mouth efficiently tucked in the crook of my neck. But I timed it wrong and got a mouthful of water with a vigorous inhalation. I was fortunate not to inhale it right down my lungs, but reflexively gulped the whole mouthful down into my stomach. This really threw me, and I almost had to stop but I struggled on, trying not to throw up. I put on a lot of SPL that length, and it probably affected my concentration for a while after that!

But I still remember how perfectly where that breath was placed. Just the timing was clumsy.
Breathing on my left side is easier than my right. But, if I can get the left to work, then I can certainly get the right to work as well - with some effort. There must be something I am doing that is different. I just have to figure it out.
Old 04-17-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaswimmer View Post
Breathing on my left side is easier than my right. But, if I can get the left to work, then I can certainly get the right to work as well - with some effort. There must be something I am doing that is different. I just have to figure it out.
HI Novaswimmer,

Spear forward extra (almost awkwardly) wide with left recovery arm as chin follows right shoulder to air. Often us humans, especially rolling to air, want to spear in front of head crossing center causing instability (over rotation) and body sinks a few inches. Slicing recovery hand/arm in wide will make you stable lifting body at least two or more inches and find air more easily

Stuart
Old 04-17-2015

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
HI Novaswimmer,

Spear forward extra (almost awkwardly) wide with left recovery arm as chin follows right shoulder to air. Often us humans, especially rolling to air, want to spear in front of head crossing center causing instability (over rotation) and body sinks a few inches. Slicing recovery hand/arm in wide will make you stable lifting body at least two or more inches and find air more easily

Stuart
I'll give that a try again. Tried spearing wide before and it didn't seem to help much, but maybe just the left arm this time. Will see. Thx.
Old 04-17-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

What may feel wide isn't necessarily wide. Try extreme (wide) and have someone watch from front to give you feedback on entry location. I often have swimmers feel like they're reaching for the lane rope, and actually end up slicing in on shoulder width tracks. Also be careful not to lay arm flat on surface when slicing wide - hips (and chin) will drop. Slice in wide spearing hand below the lungs, at least 12" deep.
Old 04-17-2015

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
What may feel wide isn't necessarily wide. Try extreme (wide) and have someone watch from front to give you feedback on entry location. I often have swimmers feel like they're reaching for the lane rope, and actually end up slicing in on shoulder width tracks. Also be careful not to lay arm flat on surface when slicing wide - hips (and chin) will drop. Slice in wide spearing hand below the lungs, at least 12" deep.
Will give it a try! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2018
RubenRod

Default Need Some Insight

5'10" Male, 180lbs, 165lean, 15fat. Needless to say...I am a big time sinker....even with lungs at full capacity. My friends are shocked. Is there hope for me? How much more air would I need to lift my lean but off the pool floor?

Trying hard to making swimming a reality. 55 years old.

Thank you in advance.

Ruben
Old 06-29-2018

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenRod View Post
5'10" Male, 180lbs, 165lean, 15fat. Needless to say...I am a big time sinker....even with lungs at full capacity. My friends are shocked. Is there hope for me? How much more air would I need to lift my lean but off the pool floor?

Trying hard to making swimming a reality. 55 years old.

Thank you in advance.

Ruben
You might want to start a new thread. Can you swim at all? How about breast stroke?
Old 07-01-2018
mikejb12

Default belly breathing

TI has brought about many changes to my freestyle swimming over several years, but none so dramatic as my recent discovery of diaphragmatic breathing. The change from thoracic breathing wasn't easy but, wow, what a difference!! I have been aware of the Buteyko Technique for some time and practice it when relaxing at home, getting my breathe rate down to 4 per minute. But I never thought to try it when swimming.

What I hadn't realised was that 7 times more oxygen enters the bloodstream per minute when belly breathing. That's right! 42 ml/minute compared with 6 ml/minute when upper chest breathing. Phenomenal! My swimming has taken a mega leap forward. More speed, more relaxed, small inhales, long, slow exhales.
Why hasn't this come to light before?
Old 07-09-2018
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejb12 View Post
TI has brought about many changes to my freestyle swimming over several years, but none so dramatic as my recent discovery of diaphragmatic breathing. The change from thoracic breathing wasn't easy but, wow, what a difference!! I have been aware of the Buteyko Technique for some time and practice it when relaxing at home, getting my breathe rate down to 4 per minute. But I never thought to try it when swimming.

What I hadn't realised was that 7 times more oxygen enters the bloodstream per minute when belly breathing. That's right! 42 ml/minute compared with 6 ml/minute when upper chest breathing. Phenomenal! My swimming has taken a mega leap forward. More speed, more relaxed, small inhales, long, slow exhales.
Why hasn't this come to light before?
We have been posting on breathing lately. Did you read Mat Hudson's post: http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/matters-breathe/? A few of us have been teaching more and more proper diaphragmatic breathing and yes it's benefits for athletic performance are pretty substantial.

Glad you are seeing the results - we too are seeing it make a difference as one reason why people can be out of breath beyond breathing technique and being relaxed and comfortable in the water.
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
https://www.coachdshen.com/blog/