Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014

aquascum
Default Swim Computers

Christmas is getting nearer...
I know that there is an old, long running thread about two different swim computers (Garmin and Poolmate, I think) but the search does not seem to work any more and I want to do research for my christmas wishlist...

What are the current experiences and opinions on swim computers?

Which ones are there in the first place? I'm aware of Poolmate and I suppose Garmin produces something for swimmers and I've seen a Polar ad about swimming metrics for the Polar V800...

Anyone keeping track of the shiny toys? ;)

Last edited by aquascum : 11-01-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2014

sojomojo has disabled reputation
Default Activity Trackers for Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquascum View Post
Christmas is getting nearer...
I know that there is an old, long running thread about two different swim computers (Garmin and Poolmate, I think) but the search does not seem to work any more and I want to do research for my christmas wishlist...

What are the current experiences and opinions on swim computers?

Which ones are there in the first place? I'm aware of Poolmate and I suppose Garmin produces something for swimmers and I've seen a Polar ad about swimming metrics for the Polar V800...

Anyone keeping track of the shiny toys? ;)
In the last couple of years, the number of different wearable tracking devices for swimming and other physical activities have grown so rapidly that itís hard to keep track of them all. I can't give a personal recommendation since Iím wary of buying one since the turnover in wearable tracking devices appears to be high, i.e., soon after release, itís quickly discontinued (too buggy) and available at deep discounts when new and improved ones (sometimes cheaper) are introduced.

http://www.bestfitnesstrackerreviews...-swimming.html

With the recent introduction of Apple Watch and similar wearable smart watches, developers will undoubtedly be making apps for swimming . . . but not before Christmas 2014.
Old 11-01-2014

Talvi

A search worked fine for me. Here's three threads I started on this a while ago in the Links and References forum:
http://totalimmersion.net/forum/show...ghlight=garmin

I use a Garmin 910XT. It's old, still avaiable, and as far as I'm aware there is still nothing better than it.

I find it very useful. With the v.3.0 firmware update (there may be newer updates but I have no reason to check) the watch works well for me. It counts laps accurately and, as far as I can tell, the strokes as well (I seem incapable of keeping count myself). The 910XT has an accurate GPS capability so is a multi-sport watch (it has ANT meaning you can connect it to external devices in gyms, running pods etc etc). Open Water performance is no brilliant for me but that's not a fault of the watch. Satellite signals don't penetrate water more than a few centimetres sot he watch can only get a fix when your arm is out of the water. I guess it doesn't work for breasstroke in OW. As I muck about, floating or treading water, it loses the signal for periods it isn't designed too and then takes a while to get a fix again, drawing a straight line between the two fixes it has. It recognises my stroke (freestyle) 100% of the time. The only exception is when I really vary the path of my UW stroke too "creatively". One the rare occasions I've done some breatsroke it recognized that.

The count of strokes is only for the arm the watch is on (obviously) which means it can be out by up to 2 strokes per length. Usually it will be within one stroke though. It depends if you always start the lengths using the same arm etc. I find that doubling the numbers gives me what I need. If your technique is good though (i.e you swim to within one or two strokes of a chosen spl) then that may not be good enough, but if you're that good you probably know your stroke count anway without a watch so all of this is irrelevant.

The downside is that more complex data e.g stroke rate, is simply time divided by strokes, irrespective of push off glide. Understandable but it makes this data ... different. It's still an indicator but it's not precise so can't give you your a TT tempo for a lap.

As for the competition: the Poolmate's main problem is that it needs about eight arm strokes to recognise a lap, meaning that if your spl gets down to 16 or below it doesn't work. The Poolmate pro though incorporates an underwater heart rate monitor, made possible by using a different frequency that works for short distances in water.

I monitored the TomTom multisport for about a year and from the forums it seemed to have massive problems. For open water, the Finis Tracker seems the best but then you get no data from it at the time. It's blind. You have to plug it into your pc at home to read the information. It's simpy a GPS device you strap on the back of your head. The Garmin Swim doesn't have a GPS function so i didn't consider it much. It's for pool swimming only and I couldn't see it offered anything more than the 910XT for that anyway. It's a bit cheaper though.

I don't use the social network side of the device as I want the information at the point of use to be as close to objective realtime feedback as I can get.

For all devices swimming is a remarkably difficult thing to track. Arm movements vary massively, in every plane and from micro-second to micro-second. GPS signals don't penetrate water. Accelerometers struggle to tell the difference between a rotating arm going in one direction and in another. In the end I'm impressed by the Garmin.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-01-2014

aquascum
Default side note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
A search worked fine for me. Here's three threads...
Not for me... this is what I get when I search for 'Garmin':
Old 11-01-2014

Talvi

Click Search, then click on Advanced search.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-01-2014

aquascum

That is what I get when I click search, I don't see an advanced search.

But I'm really more interested in swim computers... I'll have a look at Garmin, I can get down to 16 strokes when I go really, REALLY slow... but that's not normal... and I'd like to see my count at the end of a lane... or two lanes, turns, non-flipturns (I have two spinal disc herniations, no flipturns for me) must be recognised...

*goes prowling the interwebs again*
Old 11-01-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquascum View Post
That is what I get when I click search, I don't see an advanced search...
1. Click on Search
2. At the bottom of the drop down box are the words Advanced Search
3. Click on them.

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-01-2014

aquascum

I do not get a drop down box.
Old 11-02-2014

WFEGb

Hello aquasum,

have a look at the double arrowheads down... right side lower blue bar...

Best regards,
Werner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Search-1.jpg (64.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-02-2014

aquascum

Arrowheads?