Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009

Nicodemus
Default Keeping one goggle wet

I recently started to relax my breathing in freestyle (see my post here for details -http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...read.php?t=669)

Now that I can breathe calmly (!), I am working on improving my position during the breath. I noticed I have a habit of rolling too far, so I want to imprint myself with a 'sneaky breath' position instead.

In the 'O2 in H2O' DVD, Terry advises to keep one goggle wet. But I was finding this hard to judge. Then I figured out why. I was mentally picturing a view of myself 'from the outside' rather than using internal reference points. Sorry if that sounds wierd. What I mean is that I could see what Terry looked like in the DVD - but I didn't know what he could see or feel. I needed to define my own reference points.

I realised that when I roll to breathe I catch a momentary glimpse of the ceiling. So I thought about what I should be looking at. If one goggle is under water, then you must be able to see something under water. Likewise if the other goggle is above, then you must be able to see something above the surface. But I quickly discovered that my brain could not cope with trying to focus above and below at the same time. So I decided that below the surface was more important (since my goal is to roll the minimum necessary)

So now just before I breathe, I pause for a moment gliding calmly along and I look at the underside of the lane divider sliding past me. Reference Point 1.

Then I want to make sure I am not reaching up for air. So I check my head alignment is straight. To do this I am thinking about resting my "ear on the pillow". Reference Point 2.

I am also doing other standard "system checks" of course - eg patient lead hand & where are my legs? All this takes a fraction of a second, but it feels so peaceful to be gliding along just noticing these details. This also gives me time to exhale properly as I..... turn my head a fraction more and..... breathe in nice and easy.

The amazing thing is that the sneaky breath feels like I have all the time in the world, whereas my excessive rolling felt more rushed. I guess relaxation is the key.

I hope these ideas are useful to other people too.
Old 08-13-2009

Filarias

Hello!

My compliments for your achievment of 1 mile relaxed swimming-breathing! I agree with your description on how to keep one goggle wet. Relaxation there is the key, this is my experience, too. But do not all the crosschecks interfere with your rhythm? Is your breathing stroke not longer than the not breathing ones? This is what I experience...

Stefano
Old 08-13-2009

Nicodemus

Hi Stefano,

It only takes a split-second to mentally check your head position or whatever. I think it is like driving a car - subconsciously you are constantly monitoring all sorts of variables in an ongoing mental cycle. But you are only dimly aware of it because it is so ingrained.

On the other hand I have to admit that my stroke rate is always quite leisurely. I have only been doing TI about 4 months, and I am still much more concerned with working on my technique than trying to speed it up. I did martial arts for many years, and had a great teacher who once pointed out there is no point trying to do a technique fast if you are doing it wrong anyway. His way of putting it was "Don't practice your mistakes".

I usually take about 14-16 strokes per 25m. And I usually do 25m in about 25-35 seconds Which means I am taking about 2 seconds per stroke. (I took it much slower when I recently swam my first mile - about 2.4 secs/stroke if my maths is correct). Reading this forum I think this is fairly normal for 'mindful' swimming. But when I am ready, I will get a timer and start to build up to about 1 second per stroke.

But even when stroking faster, I am sure it is possible - and necessary - to be constantly monitoring yourself. On my TI course I was told to vary the focal points at different times. But I believe this is a question of emphasis. So if my focal point is say my kick for a few lengths, I don't abandon thinking about Spearing, head position etc - I just focus more on the kick; the other items sink into the back of my mind somewhat, but they are still there on every stroke. I'm sure it is just the same for golfers, tennis-players etc. Anything that demands a lot of physical coordination. It is definitely true for martial arts. And dancing (another of my interests)

I would argue that if you don't feel you have any time to think/monitor your stroke, then something is wrong. You cannot work on your stroke unless you give yourself 'space' to perceive what is going on. We need to be able to identify what is actually occurring in our body so we can compare it with what we should be doing. Then we work on eliminating the differences. If you 'try too hard' all the time, you cannot evaluate yourself in this way.

So my goal is never just to reach the other end of the pool. I try always to be 'in the moment' working on my technique one stroke at a time. This is not an approach I have invented, it is what all the TI material and coaches advocate. I am just lucky that my past experiences lend themselves to this 'mindful' approach.

Now to answer your specific question - I am pretty sure my breathing stroke is longer than the non-breathing stroke. AND I am only comfortable breathing on one side (my right). But Rome wasn't built in a day! I have been working on not lifting my head when I breathe - and devised a couple of useful mental checks to assist that process, which I described in this thread. I have also started working on my left-side breathing, but I think I don't expect it to come easily. As for balancing out my SR for breathing vs non-breathing strokes (whichever side I happen to be breathing), that is a task for further down the line (for me).

If you are at that point where you have a comfortable style but you feel SR is slower when you breathe, it sounds like you are ready to work on that aspect of your technique. From reading the forum, I think it is recommended to use a timer to set a fixed SR you have to match. Your objective would not be to go fast - just to have a consistent SR on every stroke.

I know that Terry recommends the Finis Tempo Trainer, and there are discussions on the forum of how to use it. I read some reviews on Amazon that said it was a bit fragile if dropped. So I have ordered a Wetronome instead - which is apparently more robust. I will post a review when it arrives.

Happy Laps!
Nick

Last edited by Nicodemus : 08-13-2009 at 07:41 PM.