Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013

Talvi
Default The new TomTom GPS Multi Sport

Anyone any experience of this?? http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products...ort-gps-watch/

It's just been "released" in the UK (it can be got through Halfords apparently!)

From what I can gather on the TomTom forums though there are serios "flaws" regarding open water use (it doesn't seem to work!). Regarding pool use while one person reckons it works flawlessly indoors another reckons it doesn't work at all!!

It so close to being perfect ... I am so tempted!

Help!! :D

p.s the HR monitor doesn't work in the water (they used the wrong Bluetooth frequency!)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 08-15-2013

Talvi

After hours of exchanges on the TomTom forum, at present anyway, I have found that the watch is currently no more than a lap counter, and one with highly variable accuracy even in that. For similar functionality the SportCount would seem a better bet (for swimmers that is).

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 08-31-2013

timwoolmer
Default Watch

I brought a Garmin 910. I thought it was a bit over the top at first. But now i love it. The SWOLF score is invaluable as a feedback to my technique. And the lap counter is great when doing 1500.
I tried it once in open water and it worked well. The other modes, bike, run and other are good too.
Old 08-31-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwoolmer View Post
I brought a Garmin 910. I thought it was a bit over the top at first. ...
Thanks Tim, your comment really nails it for me. I haven't actually read a single negative review on the 910, not even a negative comment, but it seems like it's for pros and I feel like such a newbie!

I've only recently had my "swim-epiphany", so I'm still trying to get a fix on my being able to swim. I still can't quite believe I swam a mile. A lifetime ago it feels now, I had wanted a watch to "measure progress", as I saw it then, and to encourage me to keep on hitting my head against the wall. Now though I am wondering if such a device would/could help with my technique through providing feedback on my performance.

The SWOLF score seems important, but if I swim with a focus on skating (extending the skate as long as possible before the "drop-off and stall" happens) would the SWOLF score reflect the efficiency in this? I guess it would but I can't quite get my head around it.

The other question I have concerns its reliability. My practice is "irregular". I am wriggling about in my technique seeking a better fit. Does the 910 need things like firm push offs or any other "special" techniques to register laps correctly have you found?

I guess I'll never know if I don't try it!

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 09-28-2013

Talvi

fwiw I got the 910 ! :) The first thing I found was how light and comfortable it feels on my wrist. That was really unexpected. I have another GPS watch which is both smaller and lighter but that actually feels heavier! The unit I received had issues. However, again unexpectedly, Garmin (in Finland anyway) provides stellar support I've found. They arranged for me to send it back for replacement - postage free. Can't wait to get it in the pool (the lake may be a bit chilly now - 10')!

~ Aleksandr Popov