Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012
Coach

CoachToddE

Thanks Suzanne, I hadn't seen that video before. I have done tons of sculling drills and they are like play time in the pool during a practice session. As to the articles by Hines that Donal F referred too he also talks of them as drills as Suzanne mentioned. They are meant to help with the feel of the water pressure as the angle of pitch of the hand changes. Hines also states in one part (2 or 3) that the most optimum pitch for freestyle is the vertical pitch and straight back. The other strokes, butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke rely more on changing pitch angles during the stroke.

I especially find the sculling feet first on my back as my favorite with hands at the side, great core workout keeping your rear up at the surface. The one I have the hardest time with is the feet first on your stomach hands out in front of your head. You (well at least I do) have to keep a lite flutter kick going to keep your feet at the surface and stay balanced.
Old 06-27-2012

Donal F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Speaking of differences in arms and legs (were we?), I noticed today while doing some one-arm fly that the opposite leg to the stroking arm takes most of the strain in the kick (felt in the tendon). Funny that. I'd have thought that both legs would take it equally. Another little detail to pay attention to.
I can't remember the last time I tried one arm fly, but I would expect that the leg on the opposite end of your center of gravity from that one arm would get most of the work.
Old 06-27-2012
Coach

CoachToddE

Depends on how your executing your one arm fly. You should be rolling back onto your stomach as your arm completes its wide recovery and be kicking upon entry and once at the completion of the pull. You can do one arm two ways; 1) with opposite arm extended in front which will emphasize the entry and catch of the arm stroke and 2) opposite arm at your side which will emphasize the exit kick as the arm is pulling. Try both methods if you have not they are interesting to play with and feel the difference just as sculling.
Old 06-27-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToddE View Post
Depends on how your executing your one arm fly. You should be rolling back onto your stomach as your arm completes its wide recovery and be kicking upon entry and once at the completion of the pull. You can do one arm two ways; 1) with opposite arm extended in front which will emphasize the entry and catch of the arm stroke and 2) opposite arm at your side which will emphasize the exit kick as the arm is pulling. Try both methods if you have not they are interesting to play with and feel the difference just as sculling.
In december our club did a 100x100 relay for charity. we had 7 swimmers in our 25 yd lane...5 on the relay and 2 doing it solo, but drafting and changing leads every 500.

I entertained myself by doing an IM 100 every few turns, so I'd swich to 1 arm fly while passing the 2-some...it was really fun to do 2 arm fly, switch to 1 arm to pass (coming the opposite way), then back to 2 arm. I felt like I'd really achieved some (minor) level of proficiency in the stroke.

Playing with strokes is how we learn!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle